Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I'll admit up front that this isn't a woodworking project. It is actually a challenge to see who comes up with the right answer first.

The sign (see the photo) is 11" x 16" x 1 1/2" and made with common household tools. A major clue is that it only weighs 12 ounces. The challenge is: What is it made from and how was it carved?

Have fun! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! That was the easy part of the answer. Now, how was it "carved". (The quotes are clue number 2.) :happy:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, no heat and no metal.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. Not carved by hand. No fingernails were injured in the making of this sign.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
it is not "carved". you cut the letters and dog out of another thin piece of something (maybe balsa or something like that) and glued them on. then painted the whole thing the dark color, followed by the light color on top

?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOUG is the WINNER! I knew someone would come up with the answer.

He isn't exactly correct, but close enough. The letters and the dog were printed on a laser printer on large self-stick label paper and then cut out with an exacto knife. They were stuck to the styrofoam and masking tape was put along the left and right edge of the sign to protect those edges.

Then, rather than using acetone, the whole thing was just spray painted with a dark bronze color. All the styrofoam that isn't protected is eaten away by the paint leaving a nice knobby texture. [I know you're gonna' try this next time you get a chunk of foam from a package. :laugh: ]

After pealing off the paper mask, the whole sign was given several coats of a product called Foam Coat that gives it a hard, weather-proof finish. The dog and the letters were then given a coat of gold paint. You just have to make sure you use water-based paints or the styrofoam will be eaten away again.

The attached photos show:
1. the sign with masks in place (sign 3,
2. immediately after spray painting (sign 4)
3. with one layer of Foam Coat (sign 5)
4. installed on the mailbox.

Of course, that was before I built the the NEW and IMPROVED mailbox in the final mailbox photo. But that, as they say, is a story for another day. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oliver, that is really nice work! I like it alot. Now a question for you, where did you get the foam as well as the hardner? Something I would try for sure

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll love this answer Dan. There were some really big pieces of thick styrofoam as packing materials when we bought a new barbecue grill. They were 1 1/2" to 4" thick and pretty large. One chunk was a block about 4" x 10" x 14" that I'm still saving until inspired.

So here's your chance to say, "Honey, we need a new grill" and you'll have plenty of material to work with. :haha:

The Foam Coat comes from hotwirefoamfactory.com where you can learn a whole lot about making projects out of foam. I warn you that the site is addictive and you may stray from woodworking for a while as you discover a raft of fun new ideas. Be sure to check out their project gallery to how foam is used for everything from props to hotel rooms.

Reactions: Chris Curl

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Oliver,
Im'a think'n you have a good Idea there Oliver, should had me fooled..

As light as it is I would think that that wind will play havic on your styroform, though. I could see it placed in a window inside somewhere, advertising someones business..Hope to see more of your ideas along this line.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You'll love this answer Dan. There were some really big pieces of thick styrofoam as packing materials when we bought a new barbecue grill. They were 1 1/2" to 4" thick and pretty large. One chunk was a block about 4" x 10" x 14" that I'm still saving until inspired.

So here's your chance to say, "Honey, we need a new grill" and you'll have plenty of material to work with. :haha:

The Foam Coat comes from hotwirefoamfactory.com where you can learn a whole lot about making projects out of foam. I warn you that the site is addictive and you may stray from woodworking for a while as you discover a raft of fun new ideas. Be sure to check out their project gallery to how foam is used for everything from props to hotel rooms.
Thank you very much for the info! I'm gonna give it a try at some point

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure does. Next time you have a piece of foam make a quick design by slapping some masking tape on it and hit it with any spray paint you have on hand. The results are instant. More coats of paint just eats away more foam. Peal off the tape and you now have a 'carved' design. Great fun!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts