Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I own/operate a sign shop in NW Florida, operate a skidsteer and tractor attachment business as a side hustle, play a little guitar, and raise Blackbelly sheep.
I started out making routed signs for a local development back in 1985. Laminated some 4'' thick western red cedar timbers with resorcinol, sanded them down with a belt sander, transferred patterns, logos, letters to them with carbon paper, and routed them with a little Black and Decker router from Walmart. They turned outgood, the customer ordered many more, but sure was a lot of chips and dust in my face back then. Today, I use a ShopBot CNC with a vacuum hold-down, and have a dust collector. I have designed and built an industrial-sized CNC thermal wire cutter I call the "Paragon 120D" and have begun building a 4x8 router table named the "Impulse X4". Whereas my old ShopBot uses steppers and Bishop/Wisecarver type guides, and a PorterCable router, this one will have hybrid servos, rack and pinion drive, block and rail guides, and a water-cooled spindle. Hopefully this machine will make my signs much faster, but, really, I just enjoy building CNC contraptions and watching them work. :)

· Super Moderator
787 Posts
oh wow !! a fellow signmaker. WELCOME to the forum, Wayne. We're glad to have you here with us.
I'll vouch for Wayne that he is one of the most talented signmakers and designers around.

John Smith - Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA - Retired.

· Official Greeter
20,533 Posts
G'day Wayne, welcome to he forum..

Reactions: Signworks

· Registered
638 Posts
Welcome.
Never be complacent.
A few years ago, I attended an instalation of a "5-axis CNC waterjet". Owner a largest seller of Granite Slaps replaced 2 CNC machines of his own (diamond saw and Diamond surface Grinder), 5 employees and became sub-contractor of 2 sign making shops (stopping their use of CNC routers & CNC lasers) with just ONE large 5-axis CNC waterjet.
Wood Composite material Gas Engineering Machine

5-axis Waterjet NOT just cut, it does roundover and engravings on metals, stones, plastics, wood, foam etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts