Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this bone-head error is buried somewhere in the past on this forum... sigh, it is so much more fun learning from others' mistakes... so here goes for anyone who didn't know :)

Freehand routing a nameplate, my first for my horse Hank, went extremely well (see image). My second for Niqi was a train wreck (I didn't take a picture of it). With Hank I did not realize the router was using the top of the letter K for stability until the outer edge frame took over the support. Well with Niqi, once the bit on the router moved past the top of the letter "i" the top of the router base dropped into the void and voila a nice gouge into the wood before I realized not only was my routing freehand it was also in freefall. Of course I had routed from the outside frame inward instead of the other way around.

So humble advice if you are not using skiis... make sure the diameter of your router base (or the size of the sign) takes into consideration empty spaces in the sign so the edge of the router doesn't drop into the hole.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
Hi Herb,

If you made an oversize base plate ( 12" x 12") out of 1/4" acrylic, would that help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good idea about the oversized router base. However, I sometimes see some grooves made by the router bit (straight) to make the recessed background with raised letters. Does it mean that the router is slightly off vertically to make those grooves? How can I fix it? I am using Proctor Cable 690R.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Router ski might help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to say use a bigger base, also using a profile bit from daves signs helps alot
its a little pricey but it cuts like butter making outset or inset letters

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bigger base will help, depending on the size of the sign if u start from the inside and work out u might not need a bigger base. I to learned this the hard way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts