Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

Been looking for a suitable software to produce my signs.

Need something thats easy to use and learn but powerful enough to produce stunning signs.

Cost is a factor too. the lower the better.

Is there a program especially designed for making signs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What are you looking for?

Something like Corel, Adobe, Autodesk?

Do you want just the artistic part.

Do you want something that can create CNC programs?

Don't know what you are asking?

Price - what is "not expensive"

Someone could think $500 is not expensive. Someone else might think $50 is outrageously expensive.

·
Official Greeter
19,730 Posts
Hi peter, welcome to the forum.

Do you want software to design a sign, print a sign or cut a sign on vinyl or CNC machine.

As with Leo, not sure what you are after, but the simplest sign software would be MS Word ( use WordArt). Almost every PC has this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys.

Been looking for a suitable software to produce my signs.

Need something thats easy to use and learn but powerful enough to produce stunning signs.

Cost is a factor too. the lower the better.

Is there a program especially designed for making signs.

Update to my Question :-

Hi.
A software similar to adobe and corel that allows you to layout out your words and images with rotation and resize of each element. Easy to create and add borders.
Something that has a lot of templates to work with.

What i'm trying to ask is there any software that has been developed for sign makers.

I own a vinyl cutter and use that for some ideas. I also work with corel and adobe cs6 plus MS Word.

Been looking for a single program just for sign makers. Same as a program is used for CNC and Vinyl cutter etc etc.

Cost wise would be under $100.

I make my own signs and use several different methods.
I'm also building two machines , one from a web design and the other which is my own design to make signs. I also do freehand and wood burning.

If there isn't any dedicated program just for signs makers they other question would be this :-

Can someone upload a tutorial on how to design a sign in their favorite program that is black and white so it can be printed out and transfered to the wood ready for routing.

Any ideas would be great.

I'm always looking out for new ideas and methods.:)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Hi Peter;

I use Publisher for all my signs. It came with my Office Ulitimate I got when I got my laptop. I never cared for corel, or the others, as they weren't user friendly for me. I couldn't get the hang of them. But then again, I'm an improvisor, so...

As for transferring to the wood, that's a problem I'm working on now. I've always used carbon paper and traced my work, and they've come out pretty well, considering. However, I would like to get my transfers done quicker, now. I was told that with a pattern printed on a laser printer, you could use a hot clothes iron and press it onto the wood, but my trials with my Brother Laser printer have all come out a dud. I tried utilizing my HP inkjet, getting the work wet, and pressing it to the wood, and letting it dry, but that came out only slightly better.

As for a tutorial on using Publisher, if you would like one, let me know. This would be the first time anyone has utilized any of my methods, as most people have the resources for other programs. I used what I had, and played with it, to get the results I wanted.

Barbie

·
Registered
18 Posts
this might work for some signs and is a nice way to dress your woodworking as well.

rather than post links to other sites which is not always good netiquette, just google the words " transfer image to wood " and you will find many sites that instruct how to use acrylic gel medium and laser images with a wash cloth and some water to transfer an image, picture, text to wood to make a sign or wood gift or whatever. Simple or fancy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys.
Transferring images to wood i don't have problems with.

I have a dozen methods to do this.

Its the first stage of sign making on a PC that I'm looking at , Need a good dedicated wood sign making software with some sort of tutuorial to go with it.

Any Ideas ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
To transfer Laser print on wood you need Xylene, which is available in Home Depot & Lawes, video is there in Yotube
Hello, wondering about why xylene and how xylene for transfer of laser image to wood surface. Do you have any links or references I can access. I am always looking for better ways and would like to learn of your xylene technique. I have had good results with acyrlic gel media for the transfer and then different top coats or waxes for preservation or enhancements.

Xylene is very flammable and has some other noxious aspects so what is the advantages or uses in this process that are beneficial?

Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.