Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm George - a new member and I'd like to hear from anyone who could recommend a sign-making system (software driven) that's easy to use and not too expensive.

Thanks.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
G’day George

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

The only software driven system I could think off would be CNC system.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi George. Welcome.
Did you want a software program to use with a CNC or freehand with a router?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gorbo,

I checked their web-site and, though not cheap - it definitely seems the way to go. Do you have any tips as to what CNC machine(s) to consider. Although not a rich man, I am prepared to make an investment for my retirement coming up in 5 years or so.

George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi George,

I have a Chinese CNC 3axis 23 NEME motors 15 x 30" bed with a Kress spindle,as I said before had it a year no problems, build quality is not great but it works and I do have 6 fans on the driver to keep it super cool I only cut wood and Perspex so its never worked hard, I would reccomend one I know some people turn thier noses up at them but they get you cutting at a small outlay, and you learn loads so you can build your next one!

All in all mine has cost about £1000 cheap really.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
CarveWright

The software is easy to use. Download a Free Trial Version (website - LearningLab - Getting Started - Section 1.1 Latest Version) to see just how easy it is. Then go to our Step-by-step Design Projects (website - LearningLab - Tutorials - Project Designer) to quickly learn how to use it.

As for your second requirement, "not too expensive", the CarveWright is one of the most affordable available!

It is perfect for sign-making, but can do so much more. See example in our Ideas Galleries on our website.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/ideas/index.php

·
Registered
50 Posts
The software is easy to use. Download a Free Trial Version (website - LearningLab - Getting Started - Section 1.1 Latest Version) to see just how easy it is. Then go to our Step-by-step Design Projects (website - LearningLab - Tutorials - Project Designer) to quickly learn how to use it.

As for your second requirement, "not too expensive", the CarveWright is one of the most affordable available!

It is perfect for sign-making, but can do so much more. See example in our Ideas Galleries on our website.
Thanks Mike! One more post now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I brought cut2d and wish I had waited till I had Vcarve pro it has far more, cut2d is great to learn on but you soon find limitations

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey George; I am also interested in the CNC systems to make signs. I have been looking at Carvewright and Craftsman Compu/ carve. It looks like both machines really can do some nice work but kind of pricey. If they do the job probably could make some money with good results. Let me know what you decide to get and how they work. zarpman.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look around CNC Zone.com I am building my kit it is made out of 80/20 aluminum Extrusion and will be using running Vcarve pro or Cambam for 2D and Mesh Cam for 3D
It really comes down what you want to do if it is signs only there are many economical priced 2D programs out there.If you are interested in building a CNC and get what you want I would build one. If you want some thing easy to use for hobby use Carve wright. The system I am going with is cheaper than the Shark pro and will do more bigger cutting area and solid as a rock..

Lou

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure what your budget may be, but if you can swing it, I highly recommend the Visions 2550 cnc router/engraver. Will do ANYTHING you want it to up to 24"x50". Just got mine up and running and absolutely LOVE IT!! Nice to be able to walk away now and let the machine do the work instead of doing it by hand! Guess I am just getting older and lazier with time. Hope everyone had a great turkey day!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never knew there was such a thing, wish I had something back when I was gunsmithing, imagine what a fellow could do to pistol grips, or even the but-stock of a fancy shotgun or rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts