Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk about making extra money to support a cnc habit have gone to my head. I agree with Tom (DesertRatTom) that you can make money with a small machine, especially if you want to keep your operation small (as us lazy retired types do.)

But even a small business needs a brand so this alter ego has emerged from the dark corners of my secret lair. The Professor will see what he can do to drum up some local business and maybe keep himself in router bits and Irish whiskey. If the returns are low, he do without more router bits.

Of course, even a sign maker needs a sign, so here’s what The Professor came up with. It is made from mdf, pre-painted with gold paint, masked with vinyl overlay, carved, painted, and then the overlay removed. The lower banner will be attached with a bit of brass chain.

Oh, yeah. He had to have business cards and a T shirt also. The Professor likes to be well dressed and well represented.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You might have to drink cheap whiskey, but just take it as it comes.

I little here and a little there is nice. More than that and it becomes a job.

Then it's not so much fun.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The professor looks familiar... was he in the Mad Max series?
It's possible, Paul. The Professor has long been suspected of having some sort of time machine secreted away in his lair. He also tells a lot of stories about adventures he's had in his life and claims some of them may actually be true. :grin:

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,026 Posts
They look great Oliver.

·
Registered
669 Posts
All this talk about making extra money to support a cnc habit have gone to my head. I agree with Tom (DesertRatTom) that you can make money with a small machine, especially if you want to keep your operation small (as us lazy retired types do.)

But even a small business needs a brand so this alter ego has emerged from the dark corners of my secret lair. The Professor will see what he can do to drum up some local business and maybe keep himself in router bits and Irish whiskey. If the returns are low, he do without more router bits.

Of course, even a sign maker needs a sign, so here’s what The Professor came up with. It is made from mdf, pre-painted with gold paint, masked with vinyl overlay, carved, painted, and then the overlay removed. The lower banner will be attached with a bit of brass chain.

Oh, yeah. He had to have business cards and a T shirt also. The Professor likes to be well dressed and well represented.

O Wizardly one. this is grand piece for sure. Can you expand on the "Masked with Vinyl overlay". what did you use please..

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Scott

You can just use vinyl contact paper from WalMart. But it is pretty thin. You can also go online and find 813 blue mask at SignWarehouse.com. A 50 yard roll is about $62 plus $10 shipping in the mainland. It's heavier and not that much more expensive than the contact paper.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O Wizardly one. this is grand piece for sure. Can you expand on the "Masked with Vinyl overlay". what did you use please..
I used some sign maker's vinyl for that sign but since then I have found that Peel and Stick shelf paper from Walmart is a lot cheaper and works better because it doesn't try to stretch as much when you lay it down. Basically just apply the shelf paper, burnish it well, cut through it, sand very lightly to remove any excess fuzzies, apply your paint and then peal off the vinyl.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Go for some high end clients. That design is exceptional and I can't imagine an art director who wouldn't want some of your work. Charge for design! You da man Oliver.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Holy impressive signs Batman ! Great job Oliver , that is a masterpiece

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I used some sign maker's vinyl for that sign but since then I have found that Peel and Stick shelf paper from Walmart is a lot cheaper and works better because it doesn't try to stretch as much when you lay it down. Basically just apply the shelf paper, burnish it well, cut through it, sand very lightly to remove any excess fuzzies, apply your paint and then peal off the vinyl.
I have been using the Duck Brand Peel & Stick for a while now. I use it to carve signs and scroll saw work. it's cheap and work very well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Bra...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=Tf4TlwM8j7fkxT4m9K0rFw

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Oliver is still keeping away from the dark side, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts