Router Forums banner

Simple anniversary project and thank you

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  197761 
#1 ·
I just got back on my ship Recently and a crew member I haven't seen in a while reminded me that the 22nd of this month was his eighth anniversary with the company. I was his first boss when he started here pushing brooms, I was the first boss when he became a machinist trainee, and the first boss when he was promoted to full machinist.

He's a good kid, and done well on and off of the ship. I jokingly asked if he wanted a cupcake for working eight whole years, and his humorous response was he wanted a fancy certificate suitable for framing. That got my creative juices flowing and I wanted to make something a little nicer. I looked for clip art of a pair of gears that looked like an 8, since apparently I have an affinity for making gears now. I couldn't find something I liked, and didn't bring my laptop along this trip so I was stuck.

A very creative individual on the forum (I don't know if he wants to be named or not) was kind enough to generate a file for me to use as a pattern. I hope that he knows how much I appreciated him taking the time to do so! A quick project like this breaks up the monotony of life out here, and pays back big dividends in morale. It wasn't intended to be a "fine" piece, just a humorous one. Made from the finest reclaimed plywood shipping crate lid.

It was about 105deg in the corner of the engine room where my saw is, and about 105% humidity as well. The wax on my table didn't hold up to my sweaty hands, but I got the piece cut. I think I will mount it on an aluminum base.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Congrats to both you Doug and to the recipient of your creativity. Wish I had bosses like you! And Congrats and respect to the recipient of yur award.

Reactions: kp91
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.