Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Menard's had a sale on 1 x 6 x 4' glued up oak boards for under $5. I got 40 of them. Cut in half and glued together - this didn't come out all bad. Price was right.

HJ

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Great looking sign and a good deal on the oak. I wish we had a Menard's.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are being discontinued- - I'm watching the supply number on the net - - when it gets down below 100 I'm going to go in and ask the manager for a price to clean em all out -- there are several with split ends that have been put aside, but those few inches can be cut off. May or may not work.

HJ

Reactions: Frankj3

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Looks really neat like that John . Great idea gluing up a bunch of pieces like that , makes for a nice effect

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I'm wondering , how much of a pain is it to paint the letters?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's easy to use black spray paint on them and sand it off the face after it dries. :D
I tried using the spray and sand on oak once before and it was a PAIN. Oak is too porous and rough and doesn't all sand out clean unless you go down really deep. Doesn't take much to paint the letters semi careful and then just use the orbital sander and/or a dust mop to clean it all up. Uses less paint this way, too. And doesn't take much time, unless you carve half a book like Edison did.

HJ

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use sanding sealer on my Oak and Pine boards.
Apply it before you do anything else with the lumber.

Then layout, carve, paint, sand and seal.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank,

Is that a brush on thing? Does it screw up the staining at all?

HJ

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Didn't come out too bad??? I'll say...that's first class.

I bet the manager will cut you a deal on the rest of the boards, why wouldn't he? One transaction, gone. He should be happy.

I bought a stack of sandpaper 3 feet high in '90. Got the whole shebang at .15 cents on the dollar. Down to my last couple hundred sheets or so.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Frank,

Is that a brush on thing? Does it screw up the staining at all?

HJ
John, I have never used spray on sanding sealer. I brush it on when I get my wood. When it dries I layout the sign, carve, paint, sand and finish. When you sand the face you are removing the sealer. At least it works that way for me.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was that freehand?

Of Course not. I can barely write my name so its legible or draw a straight line with a ruler, let alone do something like this. Thanx for the compliment.

HJ

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Of Course not. I can barely write my name so its legible or draw a straight line with a ruler, l

HJ
I thought I had the monopoly on that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts