Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some times I have small pieces I need to get a perfect surface on...Maybe my saw didnt cut it square or whatever.I want to put the piece in something to hold the wood securely and then plane it to get a good surface then flip it over and then do the other side. These would be small maybe 3" to 6" long.I know I could do it with a small hand tool, small plane,spokeshave etc but sometimes my skill level aint the best on these lol.

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
Some times I have small pieces I need to get a perfect surface on...Maybe my saw didnt cut it square or whatever.I want to put the piece in something to hold the wood securely and then plane it to get a good surface then flip it over and then do the other side. These would be small maybe 3" to 6" long.I know I could do it with a small hand tool, small plane,spokeshave etc but sometimes my skill level aint the best on these lol.
Don't know if my method would work for you or not. When I need a straight edge I tack a straightedge piece on top of the piece. Then use my router, in my table, to rout the edge straight. Then I would flip the piece and do the other side the same way.

In my masters and straightedges I always drill nail guide holes, and my work always has nail holes. For me this is not a problem, as I almost always am able to hide the nail holes. For the rare times the nail holes will show, I always drill the holes in a decorative pattern, so the showing nail holes look intentional as decoration. Don't know if you could hide the holes or not.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
a sled or skis will do the trick...
search the forum.. lots and lots of ideas...
here's one from Harry..

Attachments

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
you have a 735 so you can use a planer sled. Here's a video on a simple version. Just scale it down.

Here's a jointer sled video:

Notice the wedge shims to level a twist. Once one side is flat, you can use the planer for the other.

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
you have a 735 so you can use a planer sled.
Didn't think of that. My planer sleds are a bottom, two sides, open ends, and 2 homemade cam clamps on one side that were repurposed. If too wide for what I am sending thru, just put some shims in until I can tighten the cams. Very simple, work very well. Will look to see if got a photo.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
For small pieces you could make a simple sled of plywood (so it starts out flat) with a 3/8ths stop block glued on the end. If there's much of a twist in the piece, you will need to shim it with a wedge of some sort, but you probably don't want a thick wedge that might lift the piece above the stop block. I don't try to save twisted pieces, they are just trouble waiting to happen.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Tom, you seem to be thinking of a planer and I believe the OP wants to use his router..
think ski instead of sled...

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
@Stick486 I checked his profile and discovered he had a DeWalt planer, so that option was available. The vidios include one on a router jig as well. To me, the planer seems a an easier way to get this done than going back and forth repeatedly with a router. I recall Norm Abrams demonstrating this years ago. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

That is why we ask people to list their tools, isn't it?

·
Registered
21,632 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Didn't think a 3-6" piece would go through a planer properly...? Am I missing something...?

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
Didn't think a 3-6" piece would go through a planer properly...? Am I missing something...?
It won't. But with a planer sled I have no problems sending small pieces thru.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It won't. But with a planer sled I have no problems sending small pieces thru.
I like the sled idea...thanks...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'd try to plane the pieces before cutting them, if that's possible. Longer is better. That 735 is likely to be able to handle that on a sled.
it's resaws he's trying to flatten...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it's resaws he's trying to flatten...
Thats right...I need to tune my bandsaw to do better but until I get to it I want to flatten or make a good surface on these pieces.. Got too many projects on the lists..... (and then come home yesterday and one of the drawers from my wifes chester drawers in sitting in my room with the front broken off....not a bad fix but another thing...lol....Well the more you do the better you get lol.!

I think I will make a sled for 735 plus make something for the router too....I like making stuff like this! Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
For short pieces and, less than 1/8" thick stuff, I use dubble sided tape on a sled to send it thu the 735.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.