Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
thanks for sharing this graphic video Harry.All this time I thought sinkholes were caused by water.James jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
very interesting theory Harry..
made me go look go look into this further... some view I found...

What Causes Sinkholes?
By Charlie Rossiter

A sinkhole is just what the word implies, the sinking of an area of the earth’s surface forming a hole. Sinkholes vary in size but can be large enough to allow a roadway or house to sink with them. In many places sinkholes are unheard of, but in areas where they are common they need to be taken seriously. Sinkholes usually occur where rock below the surface is limestone. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, sinkholes develop naturally through weathering. But human activities can cause sinkholes to occur sooner or more abruptly than when they are caused by natural processes. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, sinkholes cause the most damage in Florida, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. Several factors are at work causing sinkholes.

Sub-Surface Soil Disturbances

Sinkholes develop when sub-surface rock develops a hole or void due to erosion. Gradually soil from above seeps down to fill the void in the rock, creating an open area or void in the sub-surface soil. As surface soil washes down, the void in the soil moves toward the surface. Eventually, the hole is just below the surface and there is a collapse, creating a sinkhole.

Changes in Sub-Surface Water

Changes in the sub-surface water play a major role in the development of sinkholes. Water both causes the voids in rocks and washes away the residue from the voids, setting the development of a sinkhole into motion. Changes in groundwater, either from naturally occurring droughts or heavy rains, or from changes in the water table brought about by seasonal freezing and thawing, contribute as well. Human intervention to raise or lower groundwater is also sometimes a factor.

Human Activity

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, human activity that alters ground water can play a major role in sinkhole development. Sub-surface water helps keep surface soil in place, so any artificial alteration of ground water drainage can create problems, as can changes in the land surface such as creation of runoff-storage ponds. The weight of man-made construction can also cause a collapse.

Human constructions can also provide clues to the development of sinkholes before they occur. Some of these signs are uneven floors or pavement, cracks in pool decks, a stairstep pattern of cracks in the wall of a building and depressions in an open area such as a yard or park.

References

U of Notre Dame. Sinkholes
PA Dept. of Environmental Protection. Sinkhole Causes
Trinitylawyer. Signs of Sinkhole Activity
US Geological Survey. How Sinkholes Develop

Sinkholes, from USGS Water-Science School
What Causes Sinkholes to Form?

Sinkholes can form anywhere there is soluble rock present underground. This is known as "karst terrain," according to Randall Orndorff, Director at the Eastern Geology and Paleoclimate Science Center of the United States Geological Survey. Soluble rocks that could potentially lead to sinkhole formation include limestone, gypsum and salt.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks Stick for finding it saved me some time. But is there an electron-magnetic effect on the rotation of the earth? If there is, is it so slight that those fancy atomic clocks can't detect it? Hoping someone here knows the answers

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am not a scientist, and I don't play one on TV, but it seems to me that when humans suck trillions of barrels of oil out of the Earth's crust, and that void is not replaced with a suitable substitute, NATURE will fill the void.

There isn't a 2x4 in the world that can continue to support a load after termites hollow out its center.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The reason I wonder I keep looking for answers posed by a map from antiquity that shows the coastline of Antarctica Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings So things that cause dramatic change make me look for similarities I got lost in that vat of poison you sent stick thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I found the video interesting. I live not far from the sink hole shown in Missouri. There was a man asleep in a bedroom of that house and he fell through the bottom of that house. Due to the depth of the hole and fears of it's instability he was never recovered.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
The world is an amazing place.....Just we have no where else to go.......

·
Registered
928 Posts
Holy SH*T!

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't help thinking that all the underground atomic test have something to do with it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have to disagree with your nuclear testing theory Harry. Florida is riddled with sink holes and has been for many years. When I was a teen a hole opened up in a yard on the other side Birmingham (Ala) from me. There has never been any nuclear testing in either state. There was also one in Nakusp BC, Canada about 30 years ago. Same for there. In the Birmingham case the owner said he could hear water flowing in the 10' wide hole which they figured to be 90-100' deep. They tried dumping gravel in it to fill it up but the water washed it away as fast as they dumped it. They finally had to build a cribbing across the hole about 10 feet down which they poured concrete over and then capped it with soil.

Water can be just as erosive underground as it is overground and I believe this is the cause of most of them. There are huge cavern systems in the US Appalachian mountains which are composed mostly of limestone but there are also coal deposits and water flowing through the coal picks up sulfur and forms sulphuric acid which dissolves the limestone. New Orleans has problems with sinkholes too and for them it is probably caused by decomposing organic matter. As organic matter decomposes it loses volume which creates voids and N.O. was built over the Mississippi River's floodplain so there is probably lots of buried organic matter under it. I'm sure there are other cause too.

Reactions: JFPNCM and Stick486

·
Registered
928 Posts
I can't help thinking that all the underground atomic test have something to do with it.
And Chuck takes exception to this, I think you may both be right, for one thing, there's no way any good can come from exploding nuclear weapons under ground. That's got to contribute to some kind of issues. None of them good.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
wouldn't doubt it for a heart beat...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The subject of whether underground or even aboveground nuclear testing was a good idea is a subject which would also be a great debate but as far as I know all of the nuclear tests were done in Nevada or New Mexico and I've never heard of sink holes in either state.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts