Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson got several unfinished skateboard blanks for Christmas. What's the best finish to put on these? They are already stained, so only need some type of tough topcoat. Am considering oilbased poly. Good, not good, what do you think?
Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Merry Christmas to all.

joe

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Joe

Pickup some fiber glass resin from the auto parts store ( pint can with hardener,about 12.oo bucks ) mix it up and pour it on the board,, wait for 60 mins. and your set..
It's rock hard and clear ,you can recoat it down the road...if needed :) pickup some extra hardener at the same time most use to much on the 1st. time job..like I did. :) but I didn't want to wait for it to setup and use.. :)

You can add some sand blasting sand if you want to for that non slip top coat.

=====

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the quick replies. Now, just gotta decide which way to go, poly or fiberglass resin. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this forum. You guys are great!
Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thing is, fiberglass resin slides like crap, adds weight and cracks.
Should the rider go railess on the under side (A lot prefer to now) they get a smoother grind or slide from oil based poly.
Resin will make them stick on contact and throw them off head 1st unfortunately.

I used to both make boards and ride them semi professionally about 20 years ago.
Oil based poly is what you want, and grip tape is a must. Avoid throwing sand in the poly. Although it achieves the same goal, you can't peel it off later after it wears in the hot spots, or go to a smoother grade if its a little to stick for ya'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I think we'll go with the oil based poly and we have a roll of the non-skid grip tape for the top. I really appreciate all the help.

joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't go nuts now and use a heavy grit tape.
If it's to gritty say....under 100 grit, it makes it very difficult to ollie, do flip kicks, or reposition your self in general on the fly. 100 - 120 is a good medium in my experience.
I would install 120 grit if it were me though. You can kick your foot out easily and still get a good plant, and grip on the board with 120. Its a good all around grit for street and ramp skating. Speed skaters and down hill may like 80-100 better. You can't go wrong with 100 - 120 grit though for street skating.
You can cut small logos, and designs in it as well but make sure you have enough to cover the entire deck. Some people like to leave a gap in the middle of the board but all that does is create a nice slip area to bust your arse on :) When you mount the tape don't cover the bolts. You want the bolts holding the trucks on to go through the grip tape. Just puncture the tape from the bottom after mounting and slide the bolts through. If you have a convex board and run in to trouble mounting your tape its an easy fix. Just cut slits in the tape and trim it to flush up with the adjoining section around the nose or tail of the deck where its convex. ( not the length of the deck, just enough to get rid of the binding around the nose and tail ) If you muck it up on the 1st try just use a hair dryer and it will peel right up.
Happy to help :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Polyurethane varnish can be used on all wood surfaces to protect, beautify and seal. It is easy to use and clean up is easy. However, it can be pretty thick and is not very flexible. It also can yellow in sunlight and can crack over time.

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Polyurethane varnish can be used on all wood surfaces to protect, beautify and seal. It is easy to use and clean up is easy. However, it can be pretty thick and is not very flexible. It also can yellow in sunlight and can crack over time.
This is a really old thread, before I joined. Lots of really good information though. Thanks yafocak901 for reviving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My grandson got several unfinished skateboard blanks for Christmas. What's the best finish to put on these? They are already stained, so only need some type of tough topcoat. Am considering oil-based poly. how to maintain a skateboard Good, not good, what do you think?
Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Merry Christmas to all.

joe
I need some advice on stripping the graphics and paint off aboard. What I want to do is strip the graphics/ paint and sand it down to its wood grain. Then I want a clear protective coat and either custom art or stickers.

Any advice on the best products to use to do both the stripping and the clear coat would be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts