Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing an assignment in Design and Tech class, and I was just wondering what materials/ wood types would be the best for a cruiser skateboard?

Thanks,

Matt.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt.

There is a company in the Gosford area, I believe, that sells Baltic Birch plywood. That is what I would suggest.

Reactions: Matt Gadd

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt. :)
Cruisers are usually constructed either from steel or aluminum alloy, which is tough and durable.
You must also consider the cruiser board trucks and wheels. These components must complement one another in size before you put them on a skateboard. Also, the cruiser trucks and wheels must be installed properly on the skateboard. Cruisers are usually constructed either from steel or aluminum alloy, which is tough and durable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Matt
If you go with the steel/aluminium options as suggested by Roberthan you might be able to pick up materials from Edcon Steel, they have both Steel and Al sheet but some materials they'll cut down others not, I've not purchased sheet from them so can't say if they'll cut it down. I doubt you'd want to buy a 2.4 x 1.2m sheet of Al just for a skateboard :confused:
Give them a ring, I've always found them to be very helpful.
They've got 3 sites in Sydney, hopefully not too far from you.

I have purchased sheet steel cut to size in Mascot, the company was Mascot Steel or something like that, they also had an offcut bin. Don't know if they have aluminium.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a lot of woods used in carving the decks of skateboards. Mostly, these are Candian maple, Bamboo woods, and Carbon fibers. The majority of the boards mentioned in this article were made from Canadian maple.
Canadian maple is a sturdy material that is also easy to find. It is grown in a cold climate, which makes it flexible but durable
Bamboo woods are sturdier than Canadian maples. But, it might be a little heavier. Carbon fiber woods are a high-quality wood, so decks made out of these are expensive but more durable.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,172 Posts
Agree David.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts