Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall somebody wanting to practice their sketchup talents, but cant remember who.
I cant use sketchup cos my puter is too old for the software.

I have just liberated two large sliding drawers and they would be perfect under my router table, if I can get a plan and cutting list.
It would mean a whole new base, in effect a double drawer set with the router table on top, or slightly inset.
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Thanks, I've asked to be considered (g)
I replied to the other thread.

In the mean time, here is some home work for you.

1.Measure the drawers. Length, width, height, material thickness...false drawer front? Pics will help.
2. Determine what drawer slides you are going to use. Pictures and/or model numbers, please.
3. Picture or rough sketch of the router table. Lots of info available on the internet.
4. What router/plate will you be using?
5. Measurements of your table top (pics help).
6. Overall height, width and depth of the cabinet?
7. What material do you have or plan to buy to build the cabinet out of? Plywood, construction lumber?

I will try to come up with something for you.

You know I draw in feet/inches, huh? Hope that is OK. I have no idea how it would turn out in metric dimensions. :surprise:

Did I mention I like to read pictures? :grin:
Mike

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replied to the other thread.

In the mean time, here is some home work for you.

1.Measure the drawers. Length, width, height, material thickness...false drawer front? Pics will help.
2. Determine what drawer slides you are going to use. Pictures and/or model numbers, please.
3. Picture or rough sketch of the router table. Lots of info available on the internet.
4. What router/plate will you be using?
5. Measurements of your table top (pics help).
6. Overall height, width and depth of the cabinet?
7. What material do you have or plan to buy to build the cabinet out of? Plywood, construction lumber?

I will try to come up with something for you.

You know I draw in feet/inches, huh? Hope that is OK. I have no idea how it would turn out in metric dimensions. :surprise:

Did I mention I like to read pictures? :grin:
Mike
Pictures I can do, and I grew up with feet and inches. The UK converted many years ago now, so I kind of swing both ways, but always have to convert back to imperial in my head when thinking about anythings size ( I'm 6ft 1", I'll never be 1.8542 metres).

I'll be using ply, this isnt a show piece furniture thing. Absolutely NO bells or whistles. I just need functional storage space under my home made table, which is just a piece of kitchen worktop on wooden legs.

I'll get to it today. Is there a limit to photo attachments on here?
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, lets see if I can upload all of this.

First, some pics of the drawers. They have been freed from a bed divan, so excuse the padding on the fronts, that will come off.

I want a base unit that will hold two drawers at low level, then a void covered at the front by a blank panel easily removable to gain access to the router, then the router top to fit on top of the unit.
The unit will be freestanding so that the dust extraction ducting can exit the rear of it.
The unit will have a flat top over the top drawer, so that dust from the router area doesn’t enter the drawers.
( imagine a self contained three drawer unit without the larger top drawer)
Router table dimensions irrelevant, I can adapt my top to fit.
Total height of base unit =39”
Total width = drawer plus side panels?
Total depth = drawer plus rear panel?
The lowest drawer’s base will be 3” off the ground.
Drawer measurements;
Front panel = 32 1/4” x 7 7/8”
Drawers ;
32 1/8” wide, including wheels on runners
21 5/8” deep
7 1/8” high

Theres bound to be more you need, let me know
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure whether to class this as the same request, or a second request.
from the same scrap bed I have two narrower drawers.

Would it be possible to do two drawings? The narrower drawers are identical except for the width.

Mitre saw drawer set

A three drawer self contained unit, Essentially the same as the router table drawer set, this time with narrower drawers with the BOTTOM drawer missing, just an easily removable blanking panel .

The two drawers are identical to the wider router table drawers, except the front is 17” x 8”.
Width across the runners, including the wheels, is 16 9/16”

Any chances? (VBG)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bob, If you do a search for Sketchup Older Versions, you should be able to find versions that should work with your older computer. A quick glance got me back as far as version 6, which works with XP and Vista, and that was in the first few listings on the first page of results. I don't know what you have for a computer, but I can run 2015 Pro on a 2006 Dell laptop with a dualcore processor at 1.2GHz, 2GB of memory, and Win 7 Home Basic, which is probably one of the more resource limited computers still working. However I am not sure how far back in time versions for the mac might go, but I suspect that if there were versions released, they would be available somewhere.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob, If you do a search for Sketchup Older Versions, you should be able to find versions that should work with your older computer. A quick glance got me back as far as version 6, which works with XP and Vista, and that was in the first few listings on the first page of results. I don't know what you have for a computer, but I can run 2015 Pro on a 2006 Dell laptop with a dualcore processor at 1.2GHz, 2GB of memory, and Win 7 Home Basic, which is probably one of the more resource limited computers still working. However I am not sure how far back in time versions for the mac might go, but I suspect that if there were versions released, they would be available somewhere.
My laptop is a 7 year old HP compaq running vista. I went to the shetchup download site, and it told me that my system was not supported (too old).
I'm not too smart with software versions, so I accepted what the thing told me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts