Router Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the things that have been going on in my life for the last few months, I hadn't even opened Sketchup since long before I accepted the Windows 10 free upgrade at the end of June. I sat down today to draw up a quick floor plan for my Mom's apartment that's to be built in my sister's basement. Imagine my dismay when I opened Sketchup, and the part of the screen where you draw was pixelated and flickering. The part of the screen at the top where the toolbars are wasn't affected. I'm attaching a screenshot of it below. I didn't know if it was a Win 10 problem or what, so I started searching through some windows forums and finally found one person who said that sometimes happens in games because the game turns "hardware acceleration" on. The catch is that Win 10 provides no way for users to turn it back off, the way that previous versions of windows did.

I looked through everything I could think of on the computer, even in Sketchup's settings. No luck. I had installed a new printer last week, and I remembered that somewhere in the setup there was a box for "enable hardware acceleration" that was checked by default. I hadn't unchecked it, so I uninstalled the printer software, but there was no improvement in sketchup. Since Sketchup was the only program I knew of that had problems, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still no luck. I happened to remember that my wife's old computer had the win 10 upgrade, so I installed Sketchup on it. It worked fine on that one.

So I went back into sketchup on my computer and went through all the settings again. Finally, under "Window", then "preferences" I saw a selection for "OpenGL" I'd never heard of that, but opened it and sure enough, there was a box that was checked for hardware acceleration! As soon as I unchecked it, the screen returned to normal. I quoted Lewis Black. It has stayed correct after 3 computer restarts. Something to remember if you have problems with Sketchup after installing some other software.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,907 Posts
I don't do sketchup, but also got the windows 10 free 'upgrade'. Lot of problems, mostly it turning the screen page sideways. Even the techs couldn't solve it. So I solved it myself, had windows 10 taken off, and no issues since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts