Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on sketching up my deck with roof attached to my house and I have spent hour after hour on this and all of this computer time has my neck and shoulders exhausted. I'm trying to make coherent drawings to take to the city codes department for a building permit.
I know they don't require so much detail as I'm trying to show but these drawing will in the end help me figure my material list as well as a general idea how to build. The city needs this information also.

Oh well, I guess practice makes perfect :no:

or in my case, good enough.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Keep gong. Don't stop now. Building rafters looks like the next step. Hopefully, you are better with the rotate tool than I am. I pick the pivot point and rotate the rafter to the desired angle (rafter pitch). Then cut the excess of the end.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Keep gong. Don't stop now. Building rafters looks like the next step. Hopefully, you are better with the rotate tool than I am. I pick the pivot point and rotate the rafter to the desired angle (rafter pitch). Then cut the excess of the end.
Yes, the rafters are going to be my next step but I was really needing a break from it. I've got a cold and that Sudafed gets to me. I don't know what is worse, the cold or the medication.

I think I'm getting pretty good at the rotate tool but I'm bad about not making group's and components or whatever they are called. And I need to use my key strokes instead of always using the mouse.

Thanks for encouragement.

Bryan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sketchup has a learning curve that is fustrating to get over. There are some good YouTube videos that are good to watch. I try to build along while watching the pause button does get used a fair amount.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I'm getting pretty good at the rotate tool but I'm bad about not making group's and components or whatever they are called. And I need to use my key strokes instead of always using the mouse.

Thanks for encouragement.

Bryan
The sketchup for woodworking videos use groups so that's how I started. The more videos I watch the more I use components over groups and it's made a huge difference.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, components are the key. Remember your ABCs - Always Be Componenting (ok, so I bend English a little, so what...). Then you can edit your components.
I have Sketchup Make and I have not been able to find that window that you keep track of your components. I know I should be able to call that list up but I don't know how. I've seen the youtube video of how to do it using Sketchup Pro but I don't see that with Make.

Can you give me some direction?

Bryan

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't really worry about looking at a component list but with SU 2016 you go to window/default tray and check component. Also, make sure "show tray" is checked. Then it will show up in the tray (usually on the right side of the screen but you can move it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am realy new here. New to routing and have been doing some woodworking (simple stuff) most of my life. Andywho, as for sketchup I have been using it off and on for several years and have learned that google is my friend when I need to know something about it. Here is a series that explains the ins and outs of building a shed youtube.com/watch?v=7Kcs6Ruspro Hope it helps

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hi, I am realy new here. New to routing and have been doing some woodworking (simple stuff) most of my life. Andywho, as for sketchup I have been using it off and on for several years and have learned that google is my friend when I need to know something about it. Here is a series that explains the ins and outs of building a shed youtube.com/watch?v=7Kcs6Ruspro Hope it helps
I see this is your first post welcome to the forum Don:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Don and welcome. I have been watching some Sketchup videos but I have seen Matts. I'll watch them and thanks again for the link.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel your pain for the sketchup learning curve. I have just begun learning it a couple of weeks ago. Today, I spent 3 hours to make a simple room layout plan that I first sketched in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My problem with SU is that if I don't use it all the time, I forget the shortcuts and tricks. For example, I never can remember the keyboard / mouse combinations for panning and rotating. It drives me nuts to have to pick the icon to switch between these.

It is a great program, especially for free.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Rotate = Hold down the middle button on your mouse and move mouse in any direction

Pan = Hold down SHIFT and middle mouse button and move mouse in any direction

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
My problem with SU is that if I don't use it all the time, I forget the shortcuts and tricks. For example, I never can remember the keyboard / mouse combinations for panning and rotating. It drives me nuts to have to pick the icon to switch between these.

It is a great program, especially for free.
Here is my basic mode of operation.

I use the "orbit" tool alot! While it is active, I can press, and hold down, the "shift" key and the tool will switch to "Pan" mode. This makes it real easy to move around your project. Let up on the "shift" key and you will be back in "orbit" mode.

After a little practice, it will seem like you are moving a movie camera around your project in any direction you wish. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Mike

EDIT: When you get confused or lost, click on the "Zoom Extents" button to return to a full overview of your project. Sometimes I get lost inside of my project and can't figure out how to get out! :frown:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts