Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation on which to purchase:

1) Veritas DX60 Block Plane, https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search?query=05P76.71, PM-V11 Steel Blade, $229.00, OR
2) https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/skew-block-plane-right (Based on Stanley 140) $225.00

The L-N is weaker in design, based on the fact that one side is completely open when the "Removeable Side Plate" is removed for use. The Veritas design has the frame running full length on both sides.

Both have a removeable wood fence on the side, which can be switched out with a much longer, full length of the plane fence, for better stability.

Both are about the same size. Both have similar blade adjustments, except the Veritas has left and right "grub" screws for lateral movement and stability. The Veritas is made of ductile iron and the L-N made of bronze.

Don

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Don; Never used one but can I assume the open side is to allow you to work up flush to a shoulder (vertical surface relative to the face the plane is sitting on)?
If so it would seem like a reasonable design compromise considering the benefit of that. Unless the plane is dropped onto concrete, does it really detract from the body's strength?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don; Never used one but can I assume the open side is to allow you to work up flush to a shoulder (vertical surface relative to the face the plane is sitting on)?
If so it would seem like a reasonable design compromise considering the benefit of that. Unless the plane is dropped onto concrete, does it really detract from the body's strength?
Dan,
The blade is able to adjust outward on the Veritas to the outer edge of the plane body to enable it to cut completely vertical shoulders as well. Would be nice if someone could comment on these two planes that has actually seen or used both.
Don

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have the Veritas skew block planes with PM-V11 irons. They are absolutely first rate.

Reactions: Jimmy Dee
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.