Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi could anyone tell me which would be better a slot like in kreg tables or T track for an incra base setup. I have an incra 43" table which is 43" deep x 24' wide. With this table set up for the original incra jig it has to be mounted on a ply/mdf base across the back of the table but adjustable forward and backwards. I am not sure how to set up this adjustment travel. I can cut a slot about 26" long on either side about 4' in fom each side but worried about weakening the table. The other option is to rout out for an aluminium T track and bolt thru the table either side. The table is 1.25" thick
Any suggestions for a first time poster and newbie at woodworking especially routing. I will have Triton TRA001 setup with an aluminium wooed peckers plate in an Incra frame

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
usually a T track is only used for clamping stuff down, like the fence.
A U channel or slot track is used for stuff that needs to move across the table, like a mitre fence.

Best of both worlds would be a small length of T track front to back either side of the router to hold the fence tight, and a slot across the width in front of the router to allow the sliding mitre to travel across.
Like this

https://www.google.com.cy/search?q=...QAhUDLsAKHX2wBqoQsAQIFw#imgrc=8UsGVjK8S9mPeM:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably didn't describe it properly. What I meant by slot is the full depth of table slot where you put a bolt right through the table and slide it backwards and forwards in a long slot

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
T track. Slotted holes will weaken the top and it is much slower to bolt something through the table but at the same time I have no idea what you would need to attach to the table that would require that. Many of us don't have t track or a miter slot. You don't have to have either one but some like them. It's a matter of preference. The last fence I made I used t track. This one and all the ones prior to the last one got clamped with F clamps to the table. You can clamp featherboards too if you make them long enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that I will go with T track. The Incra setup requires a sliding adjustable ply wood base to traverse the adjustment required when doing dove tails and box joints

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome, Carey...

I may have missed it...are you installing the Incra positioner...? the 17 or the 25...?

Are you talking about a base to mount the positioner to that needs to move ? or are you installing your own fence and it needs to move 26"...?

As I understand it, the base for the Incra does not need to move 26"...just wondering...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm with Nick here. The 43" table from Incra comes predrilled for the positioner base (3 pairs of holes if I recall correctly. If you're using the 17" LS positioner, use the front (closest to the plate) holes most of the time, and it's less than 4 minutes to move to the back position for the times you need to be farther back. Unless your work requires switching between the two on a regular basis, i'd not cut the table. If you have to change that often, i'd probably think about picking up a 25" positioner--the arm itself can be bought to swap out--or pick up a 25" system and sell the 17" and one might net a little less out of pocket cost.

earl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I just have the standard Original Incra Jig which is two plastic halves joined by a thru bolt which you loosen and adjust the incremental notches. It need a sliding base to be able to have a decent amount of travel as it has only about 8" of adjustment. Much as I would love the LS system havent got enough pocket money yet, about $900AU down here

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I built a table for building custom fishing rods. I used T track for the uprights for wrapping the thread and for applying the epoxy. Table is 8 ft. long and has two sets of tracks- one for the thread carriage and light carriage and the other for the uprights holding the rod. Uses common 1/4-20 hex bolts or hex nuts for the track. Short screws to secure it to the table. One thing, I didn't cut a dado for the track or add extra top material; sits on the surface of the table.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
No I just have the standard Original Incra Jig which is two plastic halves joined by a thru bolt which you loosen and adjust the incremental notches. It need a sliding base to be able to have a decent amount of travel as it has only about 8" of adjustment. Much as I would love the LS system havent got enough pocket money yet, about $900AU down here
Okay Carey, that is a different animal. If I recall that positioner correctly, as it is mounted to a board--could you put the t-track in the underside of the mounting board instead of the table top? Then you could use 1/4" bolts from under--inconvenient but it would keep that 43" top intact.

earl

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum Carey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have alook at positioning the track under the mounting board. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Okay Carey, that is a different animal. If I recall that positioner correctly, as it is mounted to a board--could you put the t-track in the underside of the mounting board instead of the table top? Then you could use 1/4" bolts from under--inconvenient but it would keep that 43" top intact.

earl
...has my vote...I have the same positioner...put the slots in the base, not the top...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I had one on the first router table The table came with slots in the top. Never had a problem.
Here are some pictures of the dust collection system i put on it.
Herb

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts