Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Unfortunately those speed controls for routers won't work in this case. It, like many larger machines, uses an induction motor rather than a universal motor. The way an induction motor is wired, reducing the flow electricity won't allow the motor to run properly and may end up damaging it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I own the same sander and while I really like its performance, have also wondered if I could slow it down for more delicate work. Hope someone here has the solution.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Sometimes small tools like this have universal motors. I went to ereplacement parts and found the motor but I'm not sure just by looking at it and there are no details. A replacement is $190 which might be more than the whole unit cost you. I thought maybe too that it might be belt driven like the little Ryobi I have but this one appears to be direct drive so no changing to a smaller drive pulley or larger spindle pulley. I think you are stuck using it as is.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes small tools like this have universal motors. I went to ereplacement parts and found the motor but I'm not sure just by looking at it and there are no details. A replacement is $190 which might be more than the whole unit cost you. I thought maybe too that it might be belt driven like the little Ryobi I have but this one appears to be direct drive so no changing to a smaller drive pulley or larger spindle pulley. I think you are stuck using it as is.
Chuck I kinda knew I would be stuck on high speed. :wink: The sander cost $199 plus tax so if it quits because of the motor I will buy a new one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't done anything with speed but I did increase the dust collection on mine, if I remember correctly induction motors have fans to keep them cool and in the video you can see it doesn't appear to have a fan at least not on the bottom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts