Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted a little cabinet for her small sized food grinders. I realize there isn't much routering on this project, just the inside edge of the door opening but that was one of the first things I learned to do with a router. I still haven't tackled the lock miter bit and the rail & stile projects but may try them soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: adot45

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You for all your comments guys, I appreciate it. I have made several cabinets now, some small and others quite large, pie safe, etc. The thing is though I'm still using pocket screws......I'm going to force myself to try and learn some proper joinery. I'd also like to try putting a drawer in something, and make a mortise, and route something with a template.....and......

Very nice work. Curious about the door, did you punch it? I just got done with my first attempt at tin punching.
Hello fire, I took the easy way out with the pierced tin and bought it online.

Reactions: fire65

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very nice workmanship: the color, hardware choice, design and size, and the pierced tin panel complement each other.

Do not feel uncomfortable or less craftsman-like using pocket screws or a ‘store bought’ tin plate -- it’s the finished product that counts. Sometimes I think we tend to over engineer or get caught up in “that’s not the way the old timers would do it” thinking.

The pierced tin reminds me of some of the older buildings with tin ceilings when I was growing up. Wonder what those ceilings would be worth today???

Again, nice work and choice of materials.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
The thing is though I'm still using pocket screws......I'm going to force myself to try and learn some proper joinery.
Don't apologize for using pocket screws. Anyone judging the final result by the type of joinery is just a "fine" woodworking snob. Even if you used other joinery they would insist you should only use hand tools. Nonsense. Your end result is an exceptionally nice looking and functional cabinet which is what the original project was all about. I say, "Well done."

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
"Do-dad?". Now there's a term I haven't heard in a long, long time. :surprise::grin::grin::grin:

BTW, That is a beautiful cabinet.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Lovely cabinet, congratulations.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
The more I look at this cabinet, the better I like it. I'm copying the picture to my project folder. I do wonder how you made or where you got the design on the front panel? That really makes it a standout.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Very nice cabinet. The old timers would have used pocket hole screws if they had them. I use them all the time unless the project wouldn't be strong enough. If I don't want to see them I fill them in with Durham wood putty and the disappear.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nothing wrong with them there pocket screws. The end result is great.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The more I look at this cabinet, the better I like it. I'm copying the picture to my project folder. I do wonder how you made or where you got the design on the front panel? That really makes it a standout.
Tom, I got the tin online, it was an old pie safe pattern I'm told. And Thanks again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave ~ Beautiful cabinet. The red finish really accents the black hardware. What finish did you use?

Bob
Hi Bob, That is Rustoleum Colonial Red in satin finish, sprayed on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts