Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.
Imagine a bearing guided flush trim bit. Now imagine that bit only 3/16" diameter. I need a guiding surface to follow the template.
I have pin guided round over bits, but I cant find a straight flush trim with a pin guide.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
rotozip

Bob
Rotozip straight bits have no cutting edge on the first quarter inch which is used to guide the bit around the outside of say electrical boxes,but think the smallest is 1/8”

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
They sell adapters to use Roto Zip bits in 1/4" router collets here, so they may also offer them elsewhere. I use them with the adapter in my smaller routers.

Without a bearing on the tip they require a lubricant or you will burn the edge of your template. This is also helpful if using a router bit with a brass guide tip. I brush a thin layer of Vaseline on the template edge where the guide tip will rub. I also do this when using the solid carbide laminate trimmer bits to trim laminate, basically any bit that has a smooth guide but no bearing, or a bearing that isn't spinning all that free. It can make a mess if you use too much, but it does eliminate the the burning.

Charley

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
On the few occasions I want to go less than my 1/4" flush trim bit, I use a scroll or sabre saw, works well for me, even if doing multiples. I call templates masters.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1/8'', 5/32'' and 1/4''

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that looks like what I want. But I cant find it locally.

I foolishly offered to make a few small xmas tree ornaments in 4 mm ply for the local youth club, thinking a dozen wouldnt be hard. The order came back 50 off, in two different shapes!
Thats going to be a few hours bandsawing and smoothing edges. And of course I dont have time to wait for a delivery from the usa because the kiddies want to decorate them well before school closes.
Oh well, thanks for the research. I'll put one on my list for next year. Or just not offer again. (lol)

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Now that looks like what I want. But I cant find it locally.

I foolishly offered to make a few small xmas tree ornaments in 4 mm ply for the local youth club, thinking a dozen wouldnt be hard. The order came back 50 off, in two different shapes!
Thats going to be a few hours bandsawing and smoothing edges. And of course I dont have time to wait for a delivery from the usa because the kiddies want to decorate them well before school closes.
Oh well, thanks for the research. I'll put one on my list for next year. Or just not offer again. (lol)
Will a Dremel work?
Herb

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Herb, no. I wanted to just cut the shapes rough and whizz round a template with the bit to give a nice edge without too much time or effort.

I cut them today by hand on the bandsaw, then did a quick scuff round with some sandpaper. almost 4 hours. Its not my best work (lol), but its for little kiddies to decorate and take home, so most of them will be in the bin by new year.
If they want any more later on I shall make sure its a shape i can do nicely with what I have.

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
why not???
Failed his licensing test for Dremel use.

Bob. How about some pictures? Then the rest of us will know what to say when we tell you how you should have done it. >:)

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Yes you can use a Dremel to do it. Stop and think about it, the shank of the bit above the cutter is like the solid pilot on the bottom of the bit. You can make templates and put them on top of your project to trim the parts.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
Theo
7,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.