Router Forums banner

small flush trim bit

4048 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  aluminumwelder
I'm looking for the smallest pin guided flush trim bit i can find.

I want to use a template to make multiple copies, but i need a very thin flush trim. I cant see a bearing being small enough, anyone?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Nope.
Imagine a bearing guided flush trim bit. Now imagine that bit only 3/16" diameter. I need a guiding surface to follow the template.
I have pin guided round over bits, but I cant find a straight flush trim with a pin guide.
rotozip

Bob
Rotozip straight bits have no cutting edge on the first quarter inch which is used to guide the bit around the outside of say electrical boxes,but think the smallest is 1/8”

Attachments

See less See more
Ahh, thats clearer thanks. The first link just looked like abrasive drill bits to me.

Now I just have to find a supplier a few thousand miles nearer.
looks like these are 1/8" shafts. I want it for my router table. 6 mm is the smallest collet I have.
Still looking.
They sell adapters to use Roto Zip bits in 1/4" router collets here, so they may also offer them elsewhere. I use them with the adapter in my smaller routers.

Without a bearing on the tip they require a lubricant or you will burn the edge of your template. This is also helpful if using a router bit with a brass guide tip. I brush a thin layer of Vaseline on the template edge where the guide tip will rub. I also do this when using the solid carbide laminate trimmer bits to trim laminate, basically any bit that has a smooth guide but no bearing, or a bearing that isn't spinning all that free. It can make a mess if you use too much, but it does eliminate the the burning.

Charley
Reactions: 1
On the few occasions I want to go less than my 1/4" flush trim bit, I use a scroll or sabre saw, works well for me, even if doing multiples. I call templates masters.
1/8'', 5/32'' and 1/4''
Reactions: 3
Now that looks like what I want. But I cant find it locally.

I foolishly offered to make a few small xmas tree ornaments in 4 mm ply for the local youth club, thinking a dozen wouldnt be hard. The order came back 50 off, in two different shapes!
Thats going to be a few hours bandsawing and smoothing edges. And of course I dont have time to wait for a delivery from the usa because the kiddies want to decorate them well before school closes.
Oh well, thanks for the research. I'll put one on my list for next year. Or just not offer again. (lol)
Reactions: 2
Now that looks like what I want. But I cant find it locally.

I foolishly offered to make a few small xmas tree ornaments in 4 mm ply for the local youth club, thinking a dozen wouldnt be hard. The order came back 50 off, in two different shapes!
Thats going to be a few hours bandsawing and smoothing edges. And of course I dont have time to wait for a delivery from the usa because the kiddies want to decorate them well before school closes.
Oh well, thanks for the research. I'll put one on my list for next year. Or just not offer again. (lol)
Will a Dremel work?
Herb
Herb, no. I wanted to just cut the shapes rough and whizz round a template with the bit to give a nice edge without too much time or effort.

I cut them today by hand on the bandsaw, then did a quick scuff round with some sandpaper. almost 4 hours. Its not my best work (lol), but its for little kiddies to decorate and take home, so most of them will be in the bin by new year.
If they want any more later on I shall make sure its a shape i can do nicely with what I have.
Will a Dremel work?
Herb
Herb, no.
why not???
why not???
Failed his licensing test for Dremel use.

Bob. How about some pictures? Then the rest of us will know what to say when we tell you how you should have done it. >:)
Reactions: 2
Yes you can use a Dremel to do it. Stop and think about it, the shank of the bit above the cutter is like the solid pilot on the bottom of the bit. You can make templates and put them on top of your project to trim the parts.
I think Bob wants it yesterday, and maybe he doesn't have a Dremel or equivalent(?).
Remember, he's on Cyprus.
I found a 1/4" bit.
Ooo, pricey. I got a 1/4" bit at I think Lowes. I do know it was less than $8.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.