Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Are you looking to make just the panels or the rails and stiles? If doing both I would try adjusting the panel bit to see if you can get a 1/4" edge on the panel with an acceptable bevel on the panel. Another way would be to use a table saw and adjust the angle so that the edge is where you need it in thickness.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum. mgmine's reply is inline with what I was thinking otherwise I think what you may be looking for would likely be custom bits and that gets expensive. Just out of curiosity, what would you make that would have 1/2" doors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. mgmine's reply is inline with what I was thinking otherwise I think what you may be looking for would likely be custom bits and that gets expensive. Just out of curiosity, what would you make that would have 1/2" doors?
I’m looking to make some jewelry boxes with raised panels for the sides.

·
Registered
22,247 Posts
I second the Sommerfeld Tools recommendation. And there are all his really great demonstration videos on YouTube. I think the profile you want will be the issue. I have three of his door bit sets, but I don't like the OG rounded profile, too old fashioned to suit me. For half inch stock, I think the simple profiles can be done either with a standard bit set, or with a table saw.

Marc Sommerfeld sells router oriented tools and bits, but he was a cabinet maker before that, and his videos are simple and direct and teach techniques better than most. I purchased his video set years ago and still watch them if I'm going to do something unusual or different than the usual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.