Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with space restrictions. Things have to be compact, functional & mobile. This one is a miter saw station I recently finished:

Highlights:

-Removable & adjustable fence
-Folding extensions and extension supports
-Casters
-Extension supports feature micro adjustment shoes
-Integrated t-tracks for all kinds of stuff
-Sliding blueprint tray, small stuff drawer & bin for cut offs
-Easy takedown with threaded inserts and knobs

Materials:

-2x4 dimensional lumber
-3/4” plywood
-1/2” MDF

Overall project cost: around $100 in materials (hardware is expensive).

Will share the SketchUp models, if anyone’s interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Nice. In my12x24 shop there really is no workable space for the SCMS. I just use a roller stand adjusted to the correct height and sitting on marks. But I keep thinking of making a porch and rolling the thing outside to use it, in which case, a stand like that would really be nice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. In my12x24 shop there really is no workable space for the SCMS. I just use a roller stand adjusted to the correct height and sitting on marks. But I keep thinking of making a porch and rolling the thing outside to use it, in which case, a stand like that would really be nice.

I hear you on the 12x24, mine is even smaller. Have to keep the table saw outside at the carport. So, I got rid of the gawdawful 12” Admiral that I had and bought an HPT C10FSHCM 10”, because - among other nice things - its rails extend forward and there’s no need for a rear clearance. Still wanted the luxury of a full extension table (it measures 86” extended vs 38” folded).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did a good job on that, it will serve you well,Dennis. How do you like that saw?
Herb

Thanks Herb, appreciate it. It’s not a trim saw by any standard, but it gets the job done. For what I paid for it ($180 from BigSkyTool), it does exactly what I expected it to.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In my one-car garage, I have my TS, router, radial drill press, sander and two DeWalt RAS on casters to position in the empty bay once the car is moved. A single DeWalt RAS is bench mounted for dados and other ‘fancy’ cuts and my Powermatic bench mortiser is also on a bench - the rest are done in typical fashion with the other tools.

Yes, you can make a small space work but it takes some forethought to make it work well!

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I hear you on the 12x24, mine is even smaller.
Ah, but how much smaller? Mine is 8X12. Miter saw. router table, bench saw on stand, two drill presses, 5 routers -several mounted on plates, various and sundry hand tools, bench sander, planer, fan, heater, chair on casters, but got rid of my lathe because I didn't use it. Sabre saw table, hammer, nails. Thinking of enlarging my router table. Good to go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, but how much smaller? Mine is 8X12. Miter saw. router table, bench saw on stand, two drill presses, 5 routers -several mounted on plates, various and sundry hand tools, bench sander, planer, fan, heater, chair on casters, but got rid of my lathe because I didn't use it. Sabre saw table, hammer, nails. Thinking of enlarging my router table. Good to go.

Same, more or less. I do plan on eventually make such stands for most of the tools, plus completely rethink the storage solutions, but it takes time. In the meanwhile, Rockler had a great price on casters so I got a bunch; next, the workbench gets a set.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Same, more or less. I do plan on eventually make such stands for most of the tools, plus completely rethink the storage solutions, but it takes time. In the meanwhile, Rockler had a great price on casters so I got a bunch; next, the workbench gets a set.
I have a lot of stuff hung on the walls, and from the rafters, great storage space. Tried casters. Once. Found out it was actually easier (for me anyway), and faster, to just shift the tools to wherever I want them. Which at this time is my bench saw (homemade stand, that wound up looking like I had tried for Art Deco, wound up too tall, so had to saw about 6" out, and refit the top), planer stand (much more plain than the bench saw), and a small sort of portable workbench (tops to fit vise, metal bandsaw, pounding top, very handy, made from leftover pieces of wood - think I found a picture of it). Need more room? Just shift a couple of things, instant working space. Also found out stands with casters tended to shift when I didn't want them to.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a lot of stuff hung on the walls, and from the rafters, great storage space. Tried casters. Once. Found out it was actually easier (for me anyway), and faster, to just shift the tools to wherever I want them. Which at this time is my bench saw (homemade stand, that wound up looking like I had tried for Art Deco, wound up too tall, so had to saw about 6" out, and refit the top), planer stand (much more plain than the bench saw), and a small sort of portable workbench (tops to fit vise, metal bandsaw, pounding top, very handy, made from leftover pieces of wood - think I found a picture of it). Need more room? Just shift a couple of things, instant working space. Also found out stands with casters tended to shift when I didn't want them to.

That’s the plan. Top of the walls lined with storage cabinets, work space at the bottom. Yes, the casters shift no matter what, that’s why I wedge them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It reminded me of a Chinese apartment in which every inch of space is occupied. Honestly, I can't imagine how they managed to get along in a small apartment. My wife and I always need a little personal space to take a break from each other, to do our hobbies.
Recently we have just arranged our living room in a new way. We decided to buy a new big sofa to invite friends to movie nights. I purchased everything on paydaydeals.com.au. They have such a fantastic choice!
I think that their goods wouldn't fit in Chinese apartments, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts