Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to cut some doors out of [expensive] 15mm furniture board for a camper, i figured I could knock up a template to stick to the furniture board with dbl sided carpet tape and use a router to make a clean plunge cut all the way through following the 'door shaped' template.

Looking on the Trend website there are so many to choose from, I looked at the straight bits but the smallest one that could go to a depth of 15mm was a bit with a 4mm diameter [p/n 3/07X1/4TC] - this will leave me with large gaps around the doors.

Please can anyone point me in the direction of a bit that is a smaller diameter - i don't mind drilling a pilot hole to get it started if necessary ??

thanks in advance.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
19,110 Posts
Hi @LoneRanger2021

Welcome to the forum.

How tight are the radius coners you need to cut? I feel a larger cutter may be required if you want to cut 15mm in one pass.

If ther are large gaps, then your template may be the wrong size?

Are you using a bearing guided cutter or a template guide?

Reactions: neville9999

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Welcome aboard. The procedure I usually see for template cutting has you removing as much of the waste side, as close as 1/8" if possible, then trimming with the router cutter. Of course pictures also help portray the question when possible so everyone is on the same page.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
For answering the title of this post, my smallest bits have 1/16" diameter shafts. Many sizes and types.
But then your first post indicates that you are not looking for a "really small" router bit.

Charley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts