Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Norton for years but they're starting to **** me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can download the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It ****es me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
I have been using AVG Free for years and love it :) Best part about it is that it is FREE :dance3:

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
I have use Eset Nod 32 for years and have no problems.
Checks for update every hour.

I removed Norton some years ago as it tied up so many resources and slows down the system.
Can't comment on pricing as I am in Australia.

James

·
Registered
989 Posts
I also use and have done so for a number of years, AVG free, spot on for protection and FREE.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I dislike Norton because it can be a system resource hog and sometimes whenever you un-install it some other programs quit working. I'm told there is a program to help you un-install it correctly. I also had McAfee and quit using that one too.

I use AVG Free because it's free and it works. I tried their paid program on a trial basis and it slowed things down a bit so I just use the free one. AVG Free LINK

I also use Spybot - Search & Destroy because it's free and it works. Whenever something tries to write something to the registry it alerts you and you have a choice to accept it or not. It can be annoying sometimes when you install something and you get a pop-up warning, but it let's me know it's working Spybot - Search & Destroy LINK

And another program I use is CCleaner (Crap Cleaner). It's free and it cleans the crap on you computer much faster than the Windows Disk Cleanup. CCleaner LINK

Just to be on the safe side, I also have the Windows restore tool set to max so I have several days to go back to in case something does go wrong.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I kicked out Nortons years ago, it just slows everthing, I also un-installed it from my wife's new Vista machine, it performed like an old 286!
We both use Sunbelt's VIPRE and personal firewall after getting rid of AVG free and there was a noticeable increase in speed and performance.
I also use "Ultimate defrag" and "Glary Utilities" both free downloads. I don't get pop ups or viruses and my machine is now a pleasure to use and my wife's Vista machine is now even faster than my XP machine. The cost of the Sunbelt software is very modest and it's AMERICAN!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just my 2 cents

I use ZoneAlarm and ERUNT, ZA stops any program from going on to your HD and playing around and ERUNT will get things back when things go bad, AVG AND FIREFOX keeps the junk off..from getting in the back door when you are not looking,many,many back doors in windows and it's hard to close them all the time..one that many don't know about is called index.dat it's nasty file ,windows puts it on by default ( back door) that tracks All.. It's a real hidden file :( and is nasty to get off the machine..

ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
AND
NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer

ERUNT=Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

ERUNT and NTREGOPT

Read this text page for more info
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt
------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------
ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
=========================================

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

By the way Norton and McAfee suck,they both want to take over the machine and they do..:(
If you want to slow the machine down install one or the other..

======
=============

·
Registered
550 Posts
I kicked out Nortons years ago, it just slows everthing, I also un-installed it from my wife's new Vista machine, it performed like an old 286!
We both use Sunbelt's VIPRE and personal firewall after getting rid of AVG free and there was a noticeable increase in speed and performance.
I also use "Ultimate defrag" and "Glary Utilities" both free downloads. I don't get pop ups or viruses and my machine is now a pleasure to use and my wife's Vista machine is now even faster than my XP machine. The cost of the Sunbelt software is very modest and it's AMERICAN!
Ultimatedefrag and Glary Utilities got great reviews from CNET, downloading them right now.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I too use AVG for anti-virus, and Zone Alarm for a firewall. Both are free for home users, and are regularly updated.

Norton is just so much bloatware in my opinion. Back in the day, dos days to be exact, I held Peter Norton in almost god-like status. Since Symantec got ahold of it it's not worth a pinch of c**nsh!t in my opnion.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi,

At one time I was a firm believer in Norton until I get hit with a very nasty virus. I gave them the "1 finger salute" shortly afterwards. :D I currently use Trend Micro. It's detected several "hit attempts" and took care of them for me. It's pricey but worth it for me. I even tried AVG but, must be something I was doing wrong... couldn't get it to work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also use Eset Nod 32 on all of my computers.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Frank,

i also use trend micro on "all of my computers" lol i have one old hp computer, i am not bragging! just being facetious!

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I promise you Mike that if you remove AVG (free or full paid version) and spend about $20.00 on Vipre, your daily scan will be reduced to a few minutes. How long does yours take at the moment?

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
I use avast and comodo firewall all free programs on mine. Did away with Mcaffee .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree Norton and MacFee does more harm than good, I also use AVG, but now I can also take a look at some of the suggestions that has been made. I always have wonderd, is the virus creators and the antivirus companies working together? What a way to make money.

Blessings

Altman

1 - 20 of 39 Posts