Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking in depth w/ somebuddy here about the Stanley 45, 55 and the new LV combination planes...
as the conversation progressed he stated that he wouldn't want the LV because it wasn't CUTE...
according to him, tools, relative to function, need to be either CUTE or HANDSOME and the LV is neither...
the whole upshot of his thinking, the criteria is that tools need to be CUTE or HANDSOME or they aren't wanted..

who else sees it this way???

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
occasionally I'll buy a tool to just get me through the night... but when looking to invest in a tool..

Its gotta be Functional! Do what is expected

Its gotta be reliable! I can count on doing what its supposed to do

Its gotta be made to last! Materials and workmanship count for something

If it happens to be cute/handsome.....cool...otherwise, not even a consideration

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the LV is a lot cute-er than the the big ol honking Stanley, but my concern was weather it could stand up for 100 years of abuse like the Stanley does ? When I see the two together I see a worker in overhauls with the Stanley and a person in a suit with the LV.
Just saying,

Herb

I just ordered one, and I don’t own a suit.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Depends on what that "somebody" considers "cute". When I think of cute I think of a baby giggling, or a puppy playing with a ball.

Tools need to be functional and need to feel good in your hands otherwise you won't pick them up. They don't need to be cute or handsome.

Now, on the other hand, my golf clubs need to look good. When I set an iron behind the ball, it needs to look good to me. The top line can' be too thick or have too much offset. So if it doesn't look good it won't feel good. But it doesn't need to look "cute"

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you can remember what any of the jigs I've posted look like then that should answer your question. I've been told once of twice that my jigs lack "elegance". It's 99% function for me but if it fulfills that criteria and it looks nice too then that's a bonus. It is the end result that's important isn't it?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Now, on the other hand, my golf clubs need to look good. When I set an iron behind the ball, it needs to look good to me. The top line can' be too thick or have too much offset. So if it doesn't look good it won't feel good. But it doesn't need to look "cute"

@vchiarelli ain't dat the truth!!! When I played regularly, I got into making my own clubs. Shafts/heads/grips/balance/lofts/flex points, da whole chabang.
Once I finally got into single digits, I went and made myself a set of KZG, ZO forged blades. Man, they were sweet! The best looking iron I've ever played.
The fact that I couldn't hit em worth a crap is besides the point :), :wink: I just loved stepping up to the ball with one of those in my hands, I felt like I couldn't miss.................

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
If you can remember what any of the jigs I've posted look like then that should answer your question. I've been told once of twice that my jigs lack "elegance". It's 99% function for me but if it fulfills that criteria and it looks nice too then that's a bonus. It is the end result that's important isn't it?
NOw, I'm pretty much just the opposite when it comes to "making" my tools/jigs. I tend to go out of my way to add a "WOW" factor. I dont' always hit the mark, but its always fun trying to make something look pretty snazzy...

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I see the two together I see a worker in overhauls with the Stanley and a person in a suit with the LV.
Just saying,

Herb
so what does the HF tool buyer wear???....
just saying...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Cute" only matters in reference to the females of the species (and puppies of both genders)... :)
pretty was used too...
so pretty, handsome and cute matters in the tool department...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tools need to be functional and need to feel good in your hands otherwise you won't pick them up.

They don't need to be cute or handsome.
agreed on the functional...
and if the looks don't suit ya... don't turn on the lights...

Reactions: woodknots

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Given two equal tools I'll buy the better looking one. I'll even pay a little more for a better looking nicer color tool. Would you put a cheap looking white stove in a top notch kitchen? I find that most tools look pretty much alike so I usually don't have a problem. Recently I sold my Rikon 14" bandsaw to upgrade to a better saw. At the time I could have bought the Laguana 14" on sale for about $1000. But compared to the new Rikon it looked small. It looked very very nice but small. In the end I ordered the Rikon on sale for $900. Better warranty, better value and better looking. How many would buy a Shopsmith (even if space wasn't an issue) over individual tools?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
How many would buy a Shopsmith (even if space wasn't an issue) over individual tools?
I did - 30+ years ago. Didn't know a thing about "advanced" woodworking tools at the time. Made a lot of nice things with it. Got individual tools now, but still have that Shopsmith.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
When I choose machine tools and cars the appearance is the first thing to catch my eyes, I then look into all the other aspects.

Reactions: mgmine

·
Registered
690 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If the tool does the job and helps me get it right the first time (still waiting for that) then that is a beautiful tool to me. I'm more concerned with how the completed project looks and functions than I am about the tools that get me there. If you want to call the tool dog ugly, that's your prerogative and I don't give a rip (or a crosscut for that matter). However, if you want to call the completed project dog ugly, well, I'd have to give that one some thought.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Form follows function. Look at Apple. An enormous amount of effort goes into design that makes function improve as well. Most of my planes are Wood River, which are beautiful--as far as planes go in that department. But I also have an offbrand and rather ugly rabbet plane that has been tuned to perfection and produces what's most important, beautiful results. But I also have a Veritas router plane that certainly qualified as an elegant and gorgeous chunk of brass and steel, and produces a knockout flat bottomed rabbet or groove.

Here's a pin-up picture of that Veritas plane, posing with a few accessories in a wood-land setting.

To me, it's the Betty Grable of planes! :x

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts