·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

" little devices " = they do work, I have found out not one router is true with the sticker on them..but that could be my error I check them with the collet nut and not the bit that should be in them..and the collet nuts are not all the same OD.
but you need a flat spot to hold the tape that's needed to read the speed..
=========

Hello all,

Since the diameter of the bit is used to determine the speed at which you should set your router and there isn't a really good way to know what your RPM's are, this little device could be the answer.

Amazon.com: Digital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach: Home Improvement

I know it's not a necessity, but I'm rather partial to little devices like this.

Mike

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
As you become familiar with your router the need for a device like this fades. Every router has it's own voice so to speak. The best tip for new users is to listen and see if the motor slows down or is laboring. This would show you are removing too much material in one pass for your router to handle. Another part of the voice is different sounds when routing like a skipping sound which is called chatter. This happens when the router is not cutting cleanly and could be caused by a dull bit or cutting against the wood grain. Listen when your router "speaks" to you.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
With a photo tachometer you also need to be very careful that it doesn't see reflections off of shiny objects that are moving nearby, in addition to the part that you are trying to measure. The photo tachometer will add these stray reflections to the reflections that it sees from the tape and give you a totally different reading.

The best way to avoid this is to hold the unit so that it is not at a right angle to the tape. Holding so that it is at an angle of 30 - 45 deg to the taped surface will be much more accurate.

Charley

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I found out the tach.must be pointed right at the tape strip, most of the collet nuts are black and the tach.will not pickup any reflections from the nut without the tape right in front of it..I tried the 45 deg.thing but the tach.didn't work at that angle..
it needs to see that break..

=====

With a photo tachometer you also need to be very careful that it doesn't see reflections off of shiny objects that are moving nearby, in addition to the part that you are trying to measure. The photo tachometer will add these stray reflections to the reflections that it sees from the tape and give you a totally different reading.

The best way to avoid this is to hold the unit so that it is not at a right angle to the tape. Holding so that it is at an angle of 30 - 45 deg to the taped surface will be much more accurate.

Charley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts