Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys.
In our daily job we need to make some deforestation works to make the right of way for pipelines. I took a small chunk of wood to my garage trying to get some material for small projects I have on mind. I removed the bark and found some traces of bug infestation so I soaked the piece of wood into fuel oil to discard these animals.
Have some of you made this previously? If so, please give me some advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
fuel oil... diesel???
w/ fuel oil on the wood the oven/kiln method is not a good idea... not at all...

instead of fuel oil make a gas chamber... trash can w/ a sealing lid or most any lidded plastic bin...
moth balls or moth crystals and dilute them/it in paint thinner or toluene (be careful it's a real liver killer) and paint the wood...
as the thinner takes the mothballs into the wood it evaporates.. the moth crystals recrystallize in the wood which are it toxic to the bugs...
kills even dormant larvae...
bug bomb it your trash can/bin or large HD plastic bag......
spray/paint on insecticides for wood-eating or wood-boring insects directly on the wood.....

heat it in your oven/kiln...
powder post beetles are killed at temperatures as low as 125/140°F...
125° takes all week...
140° takes 3-7 hours....
250° is all of 2 hours but you stand a good chance of charring your wood...
or microwave it...
Wrap the wood in a heavy plastic bag and place it out in the sun...
put the piece on a fire ant hill...

Freeze the wood in your deep freezer for 3 or 4 days - week.....

lowering the the wood's MC below 12% works too... most times but not always...

AND MAKE SURE YOU READ AND HEED EVERY WARNING THAT COMES W/ ANYTHING YOU USE...
you are killing bugs.. you do not want to kill you...

Reactions: Murtu01

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wao...Stick.

I forgot to mention that here, in my country we have a lot of scarcity of everything. It is hard to find even a gallon of thinner to prepare a paint... but that´s another story.

Yes, I used diesel because it is cheap and available. I have kept the chunk of wood soaked into it for severaaaaaall weeks, but anyway, I´ll give a try to your recommendation if my process does not work.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel oil... diesel???
plastic bag and place it out in the sun...
put the piece on a fire ant hill...

AND MAKE SURE YOU READ AND HEED EVERY WARNING THAT COMES W/ ANYTHING YOU USE...
you are killing bugs.. you do not want to kill you...
These will be the most difficult item to find...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
make your own...
Distill the gum (not sap) from Pine trees.....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: neville9999

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Alexis...I'm a little concerned that the wood soaking in fuel oil for several weeks will have allowed the oil to get into every bit of grain, opening, crack, etc...

How will you get the fuel oil out of the wood when you cut it up to use it for a project ?

I'm "stumped"...(pun intended)...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Alexis...I'm a little concerned that the wood soaking in fuel oil for several weeks will have allowed the oil to get into every bit of grain, opening, crack, etc...

How will you get the fuel oil out of the wood when you cut it up to use it for a project ?

I'm "stumped"...(pun intended)...
it's diesel...
you can't...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I`m also concerned that the diesel has made the wood useless for woodworking Alexis unless it is something going outside wand will not be touched later. Since many products are hard for you to come by I would take a plastic bag, like a garbage bag here, and fill it with car exhaust fumes and then seal the bag as best you can. Do this every few days until you are sure the bugs are dead or until you use the wood. The bag will also help keep the wood from drying too fast. 30 seconds to a minute when you start your car should be enough.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much for your advices,guys.
I took the idea from a Izzy Swan´s video where he used fuel oil "to protect from bugs" a piece of wood he was using in a project.
I plan to expose the chunk to the sun for a larger period than I kept it soaked in diesel. Maybe I´ll try Charles´ suggestion with some plastic bags and the car exhaust fumes.
Finally, it could be an excellent piece to start the fire in my next barbecue!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I watched a guy catch fly's, put them in a Ziploc and put them in a microwave for 5 minutes. He opened the bag and they flew away!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts