Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a model of TS that encases the blade in a way that the dust, actually part of the dust, goes right into the exit, this is the design:

So, I was wondering, if I put a powerful blower in the exit tube of the dust, instead of a vacuum, since the blower is way more efficient at.. well, blowing, that would in theory make the dust go up and get caught by what I plan to put on top, something like this:

If I combine the blower with a modest turbine, it probably would work really well, the key here is to wrap the blade the best I can so the dust don't get blowed everywhere :p.

Let me know if you think this would work, or if this is a crazy idea.

(Take into account that naturally with the normal air flow that is caused by the spinning of the blade, the dust gets expelled where I'm planning to put a blower, that is the part I'm not sure would work)

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
Funny as I see your idea in theory , but I have this weird feeling there's going to be a mess lol.
I think you create a vector when your sucking and you'll loose that efficiency by blowing . Just my 2cents

I had another thought . I'd hate to see that horizontal plate that surrounds the blade get pushed out of place by the blowing and hit the blade.
Although I guess your hood will keep it from going to far

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
It makes me want to buy a blower just to test this! hehe...
Wish you could borrow one for a test as I'd be curious to see the outcome . I think it's just creating more of a contridiction with the natural direction the dust is traveling than anything

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
I vote no. No way would I want the zero clearance insert plate coming loose while the blade is spinning.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Try it, then you'll know. Sounds like an interesting concept.
Do you think the blowing will be in direct opposition to the blades natural expelled air direction?
What's wrong with sucking both the blade guard outlet and the bottom outlet?
ie. a wye connection on the DC hose?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I vote no. No way would I want the zero clearance insert plate coming loose while the blade is spinning.
The insert (that is not a zero insert) has a couple of screws holding it, so there is no way to float or anything like that.

But yeah, if for any reason that happens.. I don't want to be close when/if happens. I can ruin the blade, saw and some parts of my body in the process.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I got a model of TS that encases the blade in a way that the dust, actually part of the dust, goes right into the exit, this is the design:

So, I was wondering, if I put a powerful blower in the exit tube of the dust, instead of a vacuum, since the blower is way more efficient at.. well, blowing, that would in theory make the dust go up and get caught by what I plan to put on top, something like this:

If I combine the blower with a modest turbine, it probably would work really well, the key here is to wrap the blade the best I can so the dust don't get blowed everywhere :p.

Let me know if you think this would work, or if this is a crazy idea.

(Take into account that naturally with the normal air flow that is caused by the spinning of the blade, the dust gets expelled where I'm planning to put a blower, that is the part I'm not sure would work)
VOTE NO!!!!!

Get the largest DC you can afford/fit into your shop...
put a 6'' on the chassis of the saw and a 4'' on the top side... call it good...
the blower will over whelm the vac...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sounds to me like your over thinking the situ, a zero clearance plate limits the amount of vacuum directly above the plate for starters. The blower turbulence would blow more material, (dust and chips) away from the blade and plate. A vacuum above and below would be more efficient.

With or without a zero insert plate you can improve the vacuum at the plate by closing off as many of the openings between your TS table top and case with duct tape and old inner tube if you can't get your hands on any rubber roofing scraps for the elevator and miter slots I've done it myself with an older TS.

What I also learned from it was I still got some sawdust above the plate. To each his own, but you can have too much stuff above your table, feeders, dust collection, I need to see what's happening at the blade.

Lastly sweeping up and cleaning the shop every week or so is good exercise, it helps keep the aches and pains away.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That looks like a dewalt TS. Same as the underneath of mine. The blade cuts, bringing the sawdust into the lower chamber, where it's sucked away. Surely blowing it UP makes little to no sense?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't think its a good idea myself.the gullets of the blade and gravity take a large amount of the dust under the table naturally,I don't think it is wise to try and reverse what is already done.Dont re invent the wheel,suck from both sides

·
Registered
287 Posts
DO NOT DO IT!!. I have a Ryoby contractors saw with the same type of setup. I once plugged my shopvac in there, when it was in blower mode (Stupid, did not check). After sawing a few planks, I heard the saw started labouring. Stopped, checked and found the cavity behind the blade packed tight with sawdust. Quite a job to clean out too.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Gotta agree with Ronald. You would be trying to force the saw dust back up around the blade. Whether you think you have zero clearance or not... you have zero clearance! The workpiece makes it zero clearance! No place for the sawdust/chips to go.

Positive pressure from underneath trying to push up the workpiece(especially thin boards) could be disastrous.

Nothing but trouble will come from doing this:(

Some have tried drill holes in the throat plate to increase airflow(with vacuum of course). There again, if cutting narrow parts may help, but large parts will cover those as well.

Proper vacuum hookup, top and bottom, is the way to go.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok you convinced me, I won't do it, mostly for safety reasons, I don't want to get a.. not sure if kickback is the right word, because if the clearance + the piece of wood gets loose, that will be chaos around the blade.

But for the record, the fine dust that is causing the problem here is the one that gets expelled from the blade up, not the one that goes down and gets caught by the shop vac at the exit.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You want vacuum instead of blower.
The design you have on topside is good and can be implemented.

The plate restricts the airflow considerably in either direction top to below or below to top. So apply vacuum below and above.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Dust and chips require air flow to keep them suspended in the moving air. As soon as you slow down the air flow, Gravity takes over and they stop moving and "sink". That is why a cyclone works so well and suction is better than pressure over a longer run.

Whatever you do, air into the vacuum port must be moving in order to clear dust and chips from the saw compartment. This means you cannot completely seal the saw housing and must leave enough space to replenish the air withdrawn by the vacuum port. The larger this space, up to the capacity of the vacuum port, the better the air flow and the better the dust and chip removal. Corners, for example, will accumulate sawdust because there is no air flow. Keep that in consideration when you plan your design for air flow direction.

Good luck, keep the pictures coming...

Nick

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Pablo. I agree with the NO votes. The flow of air will follow the path of least resistance. If your high turbine flow made it past the zero clearance insert, you would have sawdust spurting out the sides of the riving knife as long as the turbine output exceeds the vacuum above the blade. Also, sawdust will crud up the blade housing as it has nowhere to go. That's my prediction. :dance3:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts