Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these in the few hours of shop time that I had last week. Even if I had more time, I couldn't likely have made more of them, because my eyes were complaining. Yes, I did use magnification. Each reindeer is about 1" tall. They are made from hard maple and were sprayed with one coat of clear lacquer. Then the jewelry pieces were added.

Charley

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
They didn't look that small Charley until I realized that they are hanging off ear loops. The detail is excellent.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Beautiful job Charlie, your a man of many talents,I can see why your eyes were acting up. You have certainly mastered the scroll saw. Those will be appreciated to say the least and become collector items in the future.
Herb

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your work is amazing, Charley. Your gifts will be treasured by their recipients for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your great comments.But No, I was never a surgeon.

I'm a retired automation engineer (EE). I once designed control systems for large scale high speed manufacturing machinery, mostly for manufacturing integrated electronic components, but I have also been involved in many other avenues of control system development and projects. I even designed and built pneumatic controls for machines that assembled blasting caps. and machines that assembled Claymore Mines.

The kind of light purple colored ceramic substrate that your PC CPU chip or your cell phone chip is mounted on is actually a multi layered printed circuit board that was made by machinery that I was involved in creating. I also worked on the Apollo and Skylab programs, and the very beginnings of the Space Shuttle. The Saturn V rocket was controlled by a computer that was made using assembly machines that I worked on. The on- board computer of the Apollo Capsule was also built using these assembly machines, and I solved some motor drive problems on the Lunar Rover, so there is hardware on the Moon that I worked on. The first hot glue gun's aluminum heating chamber and nozzle were machined on a tool that I designed the controls for, and there is a roller coaster in Central Pennsylvania that I helped create the controls for.

Since my retirement (I actually retired 5 times, but I'm now fully retired), I have been designing and building Exhibits for the NC Science Museums off and on for 19 years now. Mostly, this has been for Discovery Place in Charlotte, NC because I live about 20 miles from them. For these Exhibits, I do everything except for the graphics. This involves everything from the concept to completion, so I do cabinet making, electronics, programming, hydraulics, pneumatics, metal working, etc. I would love to post pictures of some of these, but have been asked not to.

I have always enjoyed the challenge of seeing how small I could make things. I started cutting 3 1/2" tall reindeer 12 years ago and then kept making them smaller. I did manage to make one about 1/2" tall out of hard maple last year, but it took 8 tries before I made a good one and my sister claimed it. I decided since making that one that since I could make the 1" size and most of them would survive the cutting process, that I would stick to making this size for now. Some day you might see a post with smaller ones, but it won't be soon. I have to think up some improvements for the process before I will try again. Yes, I did use magnification for cutting as well as the jewelry assembly part of making these. I'll likely make another batch of them closer to Christmas, but I have many other projects that are demanding my time before then.

Charley

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Charley your back at it again this year. As always they are so nice.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Fantastic work Charley & I agree with the previous comments.Outstanding.James

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
The magnificent job that you made of the reindeer is a reflection of your background Charley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts