Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... to get out of bed :mad: I had 4 little boxes glued up. Primarily just scrap wood from the cut off bin. These all had mitered corners and I put mitered keys on them. On one I some how didn't have the fence locked down when I used the jig so the slot opened up! Man I hate that!! Then when seperating the box and lid on the table saw I didn't have it square on the fence and I ended up having to chop the lid down some so it ended up a smaller box in heighth! Well I did get 2 error free boxes of which one I am going to try out my slot hinges on but I must build the jig for the drill press first. Oh well these were just practice boxes as I have never done anything but slab lids on boxes versus panels in lids. Learned a few things and made some mistakes I won't make on the larger ones... I hope! Pics in a few days when the finish is done. Just too darn cold in the shop now! Oh well, some days yah feel like going back to bad :D Well the panels were sucessful anyway.

Corey

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Corey,

There is no such thing as a bad day in the shop....... it still beats any good day at the office I can think of :D

Can't wait to see the pics of your boxes.... they are always so cool.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bob, they are nothing fancy or anything really... however I did work with cherry for the first time and I sure like how it finishes and kind of gives an old world look and I also learned I sure like working with Honduran Mahogany! It machines about the nicest I have ever used.

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Please post a picture or two of the drill press setup, I saw the saw blades you got and the arbor and sure would like to see how they are setup,looks a bit hairy :)

Bj :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will do that BJ. I have a box making buddy from another forum that uses them on all his boxes. He uses his in the drill press as recommended and he says just feed it slow and you will be fine. Author and box builder Doug Stowe uses his in the router table on a low setting, but I am told that causes premature death of the blades due to the burning. And these blades are about 20.00 bill or more each. Here is a link to the instructions that are on the Woodcraft site where I ordered it:
http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B76.pdf
Hoping I get a chance to make the jig real quick this weekend. Nothing much to it but wife isn't happy since I have been ignoring the kitchen :)

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Looks like it will work :)

May I suggest using a Cross-Sliding Vise that's bolted to the table top of the drill press,and a small jig to hold the top for sawing/cutting.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1064

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32997

Also this ▼
Dremel 670-01 Mini Saw Attachment
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-670-01...=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-5788236-4980042?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I need to get the one I have out and check the blade(s) but I thinks it's .025 thick ,just for a quck way to put the slots in without the need of the drill press and just use the wood vise on the work bench or clamp it to the work bench. :)

Just a thought

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, the one blade is .025 so it should work for that size hinge. That Grizzly vice is pretty sweet. I can't pick it up now.. but definitely if I like these hinges that is a future purchase. ( I ordered some stock today so the wife is kind of like.....WHAT... more WOOOOODD!!!!!!!) I like that whole idea about slowly bring it in to the blade. What to do about a stop though?

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Just a quick clamp bock on the drill press table will work for a stop block or a small clamp on the vise rail would work also.
clamp made of hardwood with a dovetail slot in it to fit the rail on the vise and a 1/4-20 bolt taped into the hardwood for a clamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts