Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Herb its unbelievable how we are managing to stuff up our planet.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Herb, very educational and unfortunately only a small fraction of what is actually happening. However greed and over population will eventually consume our planet and our future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dear Sir:

I personally thought this was a router specific site and not a political forum. I am surprised that the conclusions you draw are based on some pictures which may, or may not, be what they seem, but probably define what the poster's agenda is. In perusing some of Ms. Jade Small's articles i.e. "Lindsay Lohan Reveals Ayahuasca ‘Changed Her Life’" I think I might be skeptical of her positions on the post you presented as fact.

I will agree that some power producing activities due cause damage. Many thousands of birds die each year from wind farms, and solar power panels. From small birds to eagles.

Many wild fires in the U.S.A destroying millions of dollars of property can be laid directly at the feet of environmentalists. Their " back to nature" movement has directly impacted on fires by not removing brush etc. that helped control such events.

The picture of the power plant burning brown coal, which it may, or may not really be doing, which seems so terrible, has one smoke stack. The rest are cooling towers producing... cooled water vapor... that would be the same thing as the way a cloud forms. Water vapor ascending until cool enough to condense.

If you believe in evolution then the polar bear and albatross were just example of "survival of the fittest".

Polar ice comes and goes as nature sees fit, as do islands. The South Pole, in surveys, has an abundance of ice although probably somewhat contaminated by the ship carrying environmentalists on a tour, sank, dumping thousands of gallons of fuel oil in the sea.

If you're against fossil fuels don't use them.. don't drive, don't use electricity, natural gas, inside plumbing, nor electric routers or any power tool, internet, smart phone. And so on and so on.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
This is such a complex topic. There are issues that are political, some "scientific" fraud, some very expensive but ineffective proposed regulations on countries that are not the real polluters. However, there is also the reality that conservation of resources is a wise thing. So long as the less developed countries produce massive pollution, the contribution to pollution of the developed countries, is relatively minimal. Not that we shouldn't do what we can, but to spend so much for so little outcome, is to rob the poor here and particularly around the world. I hate the word "denier" when applied to climate change, it is designed to silence those who try to be rational about conservation and limiting pollution of all types. While we, well, most of us, are pretty well set, there are something like 2-3 billion people who are impoverished who can only dream of a life as good as ours. So, without getting all political, I suggest we consider consequences of all our actions before we act and regulate. Why the caution? Why not go all out here? This video is a TED talk that responds better than I can about the unintended consequences of action on emotions alone.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Pad, the Lobby is an area where members are allowed to discuss topics not related to woodworking as long as it is not about politics, religion, or any subject that is considered in poor taste or fails our member respect rules. This subject has the potential to cross at least one of those lines but as long as every one can discuss this in a polite and productive manner it will be allowed.

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pad, the Lobby is an area where members are allowed to discuss topics not related to woodworking as long as it is not about politics, religion, or any subject that is considered in poor taste or fails our member respect rules. This subject has the potential to cross at least one of those lines but as long as every one can discuss this in a polite and productive manner it will be allowed.
When I posted this ,I did not mean to fire off so many rockets, when I received this I was surprised at the size of some of these cities,the other pictures came with the package. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Chuck you may remove it at anytime.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
No need yet Herb. I found some of the pictures interesting too, particularly Mexico City. I also didn't find all of the pictures and statements entirely accurate. Like I said as long as the discussion stays polite there is no problem.

Reactions: old55 and jw2170

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
The picture of Mexico city floored me . I feel more and more grateful living in Canada where there's some space

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think there's space in Mexico, it's just that all the work is in the cities, so that's where the people go.

Build businesses and factories in the middle of nowhere 'and they will come'. ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If no ones mentioned it yet don't forget the Pacific garbage patches, the eastern patch is supposed to be the size of Texas

·
Registered
657 Posts
The picture of Mexico city floored me . I feel more and more grateful living in Canada where there's some space
I agree with that, but living in Canada in winter time :surprise: Our wheater is envy many times as are our beaches, etc. etc.

I think there's space in Mexico, it's just that all the work is in the cities, so that's where the people go.

Build businesses and factories in the middle of nowhere 'and they will come'. ;)
Angie You are totally right. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts