Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the original Sommerfeld Katie Dovetail Jig with the adjustable pin and tail pieces.
Wanting to purchase if you have one for sale or know where I can find one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought one within the last 6 months - they should still be available from the manufacturer...not many out there used.

PS: You need two different bit sets for 3/4" and then anything thinner walled. Only $35/set so is affordable.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Marc's new jig is the same as the Katie version, all parts and accessories are interchangeable. I wouldn't sell mine and would be surprised if you find one for sale. It comes with your first set of bits. You can find video on YouTube on using the jig, search Marc Sommerfeld, dovetail jig. really helplful information, including suggestions on marking it for easier setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I've found on the website appears to be a fixed pin and tail setup like the Keller and Peachtree models. I want to be able to make variable spaced dovetails and I believe the previous version had individual pins and tails and with the use of spacer blocks this was possible. Thanks for your replies. I'll give Marc a call and see whats available.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Marc is suffering from ALS - he may not be available. You can get the individual pins and tails instead of the 'plate' at no extra cost. It's what I did...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I followed your advice Bstrom and was able to order the same setup as you. Very nice folks at Sommerfeld's. I would be interested to see how you labeled your jig.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Katie jig

Is this what you are looking for, still in the box have not used in years original Sommerfeld Katie jig

Attachments

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts

Cool! Love those handles! I need to make some for mine...how much you asking for yours?
I have no idea what it worth, have no idea if it came with bits i bought the handles separately
I do not Usually sell stuff but I don’t need it
I’m not gonna use it If you’re fair and you pay the shipping I really don’t care I Bought that well over 15 years ago I have no idea what it paid for it
I must’ve wanted it for something I was doing
I. Am in st louis mo area

·
Registered
508 Posts
I inquired at Sommerfeld and they don;’t make them anymore - probably added just for the first gen models. Have asked for drawings to fab my own, save figuring it out for myself.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Just checked, the new sommerfeld jig is $240. You can also buy the "tuning fork" fingers for it individually. It is still being made. https://sommerfeldtools.com/profess...ols/jigs-and-guides/sommerfeld-s-dovetail-jig

Here's the product info.
The NEW Sommerfeld's Dovetail Jig is designed with single-plate technology instead of the variable-spaced dovetails. It is constructed with high quality aluminum, then clear anodized for lasting dependabiltiy.

The Sommerfeld's Dovetail Plate can be interchanged with any previoius Dovetail Jigs we have sold. *Not recommended for use with plywood.

Set Includes: Pre-assembled Jig w/

Sommerfeld Dovetail Plate
Two Edge Stops
7/16" Dovetail router bit
5/8" Pattern bit
5/32" Allen wrench
Manual
Dovetail Made Easy DVD

The DVD has lots of hints on using the jig, including how to mark the jig and the workpieces to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Marc is suffering from ALS - he may not be available. You can get the individual pins and tails instead of the 'plate' at no extra cost. It's what I did...

When was Marc diagnosed with ALS? A cure cannot come quickly enough!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just checked, the new sommerfeld jig is $240. You can also buy the "tuning fork" fingers for it individually. It is still being made. https://sommerfeldtools.com/profess...ols/jigs-and-guides/sommerfeld-s-dovetail-jig

Here's the product info.
The NEW Sommerfeld's Dovetail Jig is designed with single-plate technology instead of the variable-spaced dovetails. It is constructed with high quality aluminum, then clear anodized for lasting dependabiltiy.

The Sommerfeld's Dovetail Plate can be interchanged with any previoius Dovetail Jigs we have sold. *Not recommended for use with plywood.

Set Includes: Pre-assembled Jig w/

Sommerfeld Dovetail Plate
Two Edge Stops
7/16" Dovetail router bit
5/8" Pattern bit
5/32" Allen wrench
Manual
Dovetail Made Easy DVD

The DVD has lots of hints on using the jig, including how to mark the jig and the workpieces to avoid confusion.
To reiterate, I bought my NEW jig Recently and requested the individual fingers instead of the plate, which were swapped out at no extra charge.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
@Bstrom I posted all that info for any other members just browsing. I do that a lot, part of what I think my job is as an official contributor. When you posted that they didn't make them anymore, did you mean the handles?

The site opens for me too. Their search is a little spotty.

I had no idea he'd been diagnosed with that terrible affliction. Every time I've talked with him in the past, he's seemed alright. What a shame. I really like the guy. I think I might just pop for the individual tuning forks. I bought all of his dvds and watch them when I'm making a project he's made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.