Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a great deal at a local store clearance out Sommerfeld katiejigs from a couple of years ago. They had seven jigs left (since 2/7/2012). If there is interest, I will buy the remaining jigs and sell them to you guys. I am thinking $130-$140 shipped (depending) on where I ship (this will cover my purchase cost, boxing and shipping costs. It will be for just the jig itself. There are no bits included (I checked every box). Also not an allen wrench. Some of the boxes are a little punky, but all will come in a sommerfeld box. I already purchased two for myself. I will make no gurantees, but they all look new in the box. The girl said they got them a couple of years ago and they didn't really sell. Email me through the routerforums, I don't want to post my email due to spammers. I've been in contact with BobJ, he says they are great jigs. They seem very heavy duty. Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Just a add on note, if you like to put in Blind dovetails you can get a base from Sommerfeld Tools, it just screws on to the fixture once you remove the fingers but you must buy the spec.router bits from them to put in the Blind dovetails type.

Just a note, you can move the fingers around to put in any type of pattern you want to put in. :)with the spacers, see below.

It's the best dovetail fixture I own, rated at 5 stars out of 5 stars ,by me >>>plus it will put in Box joints with the right finger templates..with a hand router or on the router table.

Organic Half-Blind Dovetail Katie Jig Plate-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

True Dovetail Bit 7/8"CD,21/32"CL,2-1/2"OL,1/2"SH-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

True Pattern Bit 31/64""CD,3/4"CL,2-1/4"OL,1/4"SH-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

Box Joint Tuning Fork-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

New Katie Jig w/Bars-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

Addtional Images

see the jig at work in the video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYZg0CfMArI

Or

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Dovetails-Made-Easy/productinfo/DVD8/

===

========

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

The Amana bits are a little short they must be the long (tall ones) :)
see picture of them on the ebay link(s) :)

===

Here are the Amana bits for this jig:

Keller Dovetail 7º Router Bit System - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Carbide Tipped Router Bit

$32 for both bits isn't a bad deal. I have always had good success with amana bits. For this jig, make sure the bearings are 5/8". The keller and katie jigs use the same bits.

If anyone wants a jig let me know. There are five left.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the specs the Amana bits are 2-5/8" long. That is almost identical to the super-carbide dovetail, and a little shorter than the super-carbide straight bit. The amana bits won't work? I was just offering another solution. they looked like they would work according to their specs.

--Mike

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm curious what makes the Katie so easy to use compared to the one that Peachtree sells. Isn't the concept the same? I realize the Katie has the stop blocks and the clamping bar, so is that what makes it easier? The same set up could be made for the Peachtree jig.

I notice on the Sommerfelds website is states no set up required, and it uses the same set up for both the pins and tails. Am I over complicating this?:confused:

I'm not knocking anyone's jigs, and I am thinking about taking Mike up on his offer if there are any left.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Darrin

I will suggest you get the video from Marc at Sommerfeld Tools he will show you how to setup the jig up and use it plus a tip or two how to adjust the fit ,the jig is the only one that can do many joints unlike the Peachtree type jig but I will say if you want or like the Peachtree type you can get one like it from MLCS at about 1/3 the price.

It's the only fixture that I know about that you can make your own fingers forks once you have just one of the fingers to copy as a template.

You can make a fixture as long as 72" if you want with just some scrap wood from the shop.. :)

I'm curious what makes the Katie so easy to use compared to the one that Peachtree sells. Isn't the concept the same? I realize the Katie has the stop blocks and the clamping bar, so is that what makes it easier? The same set up could be made for the Peachtree jig.

I notice on the Sommerfelds website is states no set up required, and it uses the same set up for both the pins and tails. Am I over complicating this?:confused:

I'm not knocking anyone's jigs, and I am thinking about taking Mike up on his offer if there are any left.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Darrin

I will suggest you get the video from Marc at Sommerfeld Tools he will show you how to setup the jig up and use it plus a tip or two how to adjust the fit ,the jig is the only one that can do many joints unlike the Peachtree type jig but I will say if you want or like the Peachtree type you can get one like it from MLCS at about 1/3 the price.

It's the only fixture that I know about that you can make your own fingers forks once you have just one of the fingers to copy as a template.

You can make a fixture as long as 72" if you want with just some scrap wood from the shop.. :)
So you are suggesting getting the DVD from Sommerfeld that will show me how to set it up, yet the first thing in the description for it say no set up required as stated below.

1. No complicated assembly-Just take it out of the box and use it immediately. No alignment.

I agree about the forks, that's a pretty cool concept. I could take the Peachtree jig and copy it also. The Peachtree jig cost more than one fork for the Katie jig, so that's a real plus for the Katie.

I really like the Katie jig, I am just trying to learn what makes it easier to use, and so far, I just don't see it.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Darrin

" no set up required " = true, but like many items that come out they need to be checked b/4 you use them out of the box, and Mark will show you how to do that on the video and also about getting the Allen key out to make sure the set screw is in tight b/4 you use it..just little things that can and sometimes do come in to play.

" I just don't see it " = I don't think you will until you use it for the 1st.time and you will say the same as I, WOW I didn't know it could be so easy. :) and can put in any pattern I want to use on top of that.
Plus you don't need a 40 page manual to use it like so many others.

Plus see video how to set them up
on the web page or on Youtube
They have gone up in price, I got the ones I have for 49.oo

MLCS Woodworking Through Dovetail Templates - YouTube

MLCS Master Joinery Dovetail Set and Templates

Get Two Carbide Tipped Router Bits and a 5/8" Brass Guide Bushing for FREE!
An easy to use, inexpensive tool for making classic through dovetails, a joint that is the hallmark of fine craftsmanship. Made of sturdy cast aluminum and cuts either 3/4" wide tails, 1-1/8" on center or 1" wide tails, 2" on center. After a one time initial setup, simply clamp the jig in place on each board, and rout the pins and tails. There is no limit to the length of board you can dovetail, and by shifting the jig, you can create variable spaced or extra wide dovetails. The FREE 5/8" Router Guide Bushing works with any router that has a router baseplate with a 1-3/16" center hole. For other size center holes see #9099 Universal Router Plate, or Router Replacement Bases which allows you to use the brass bushing. See Wood Magazine 2002 review. See March 2007 Wood Magazine for most recent review. Free Instructions.

Pins & Tails Dovetail Instructions (PDF)
Large & Small Through Templates Set
Includes two aluminum templates, two FREE carbide tipped router bits a 5/8" Brass Guide Bushing. LIST $399.95
With two 1/4" shank bits
#6414............................... $89.95
With two 1/2" shank bits
#8714............................... $89.95

===

I know MLCS had them at one time, but I can't find them on their website any more.

So you are suggesting getting the DVD from Sommerfeld that will show me how to set it up, yet the first thing in the description for it say no set up required as stated below.

1. No complicated assembly-Just take it out of the box and use it immediately. No alignment.

I agree about the forks, that's a pretty cool concept. I could take the Peachtree jig and copy it also. The Peachtree jig cost more than one fork for the Katie jig, so that's a real plus for the Katie.

I really like the Katie jig, I am just trying to learn what makes it easier to use, and so far, I just don't see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Darrin,

the peachtree jig looks like the keller/ mlcs jig. They look like they will work fine. $160 sounds a little pricey for just the fork, you have to supply the correct dimensions of wood, clamps, etc.. The katiejig is set up to work right away. I purchased two for myself, and I check for square first thing. One was on, the other wasn't. It was a matter of squaring a side and adjusting the forks accordingly. A couple of minutes at most.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I have one left, but could pick up more (if there are any left). I just shipped one to gallianp on Friday. When he receives it, ask him how he likes it.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I should say a word about the router bit(s) some routers can lift the bit into place because they are to short I ran into this error on one of my router tables, if you notice the new Sommerfeld jig has a very thick template unlike the Katie jig that is only 1/2" thick but you can use the 8 deg. LONG bits just like the 7 deg.bits with 2 lock collets and the bearing in place that will take care of the error.

I got a set off ebay that have the longer bits but you can buy just one or two of them from MLCS for the Leigh jig also.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

==

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi

I should say a word about the router bit(s) some routers can lift the bit into place because they are to short I ran into this error on one of my router tables, if you notice the new Sommerfeld jig has a very thick template unlike the Katie jig that is only 1/2" thick but you can use the 8 deg. LONG bits just like the 7 deg.bits with 2 lock collets and the bearing in place that will take care of the error.

I got a set off ebay that have the longer bits but you can buy just one or two of them from MLCS for the Leigh jig also.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

==
In an earlier post you recommended these from ebay 5pc Top Bearing Dovetail Router Bit Set For Keller Jig | eBay

Will they work with the Sommerfeld jig?? because I am about to win the ebay bid!

Paul

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Paul

YES they will work fine with the jig :)

I have 3 sets of them, can't have to many router bits :) one of them because I forgot I had two on hand ,,LOL CRS thing..

But I should say I have two of the longer sets also :) I got the locking rings from ACE hardware for peanuts.

But you don't need to buy the longer bits if you don't want to you can use the Router Collet Extension and it will will do the same job as a longer bit..and you can use it for others router jobs as well.
MLCS Router Collet Extension and Review
===

In an earlier post you recommended these from ebay 5pc Top Bearing Dovetail Router Bit Set For Keller Jig | eBay

Will they work with the Sommerfeld jig?? because I am about to win the ebay bid!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
right on

but note the small OD size but anything will work just that it can't be bigger than the bearing..and the lock ring can't run/rub on the bearing OD case and to say the set screw can't stick out pass the bearing..

==

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.