Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay talk about a real letdown!

So as I said last night, I didn't get to play with my new toy. I was completely put out by my little colt, when I said the lock spring was out of whack, and then when I went to try and change my bit while the motor was in the plunge base. If you put the motor in the plunge, the plunge covers the lock button! I thought I had done something wrong. Did I put it in the base wrong? There's NO WAY Bosch was bone-headed enough to have the base cover the shaft lock! Guess what? They were. I met up with Ken when I got out of work over at Performance Tool, where Ken got my Bosch at Christmas. I asked the guy there to put the motor in the plunge. Nope. He couldn't readily get to the lock, either. At this point, I was completely bummed. There is no way I plan on having to tear apart my router to change the bit every 15 minutes.

Ken went to the Makita section of the store. The owner went over there, and the two of them were talking while I was sulking at the front counter. Ken had me go over there. The owner proceeded to tell me about the seminar in Texas he went to last week for Makita, and started filling me in on the specs of the Makita Router.

So here's gloat part:

After talking for about 10 minutes, I ended up walking out of the store with the Makita RT0701CX3 Kit. The even better part? Because all he had was the floor model, I paid $27 extra dollars after he traded me my Bosch.

I'll be playing with little baby soon. Yes, there will be an adjustment period to learn this one, but I think the biggest adjustment will be in the plunge mechanism. The options that came standard in this kit about blew me away. I may have to broaden my horizons just a bit to learn this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Barb: that’s a shortcoming I hadn’t noticed as I only use mine for cutting circles so the bit doesn’t change. Definitely a bummer. The DeWalt I use for general trim routing doesn’t have that shortcoming. I trust you’ll adapt to the Makita in good time.

Doug’s point is bang on.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
Great looking kit Barb . I’m sure Harry can confirm that you can’t go wrong with Makita .

I’d really like to secure an iPad mini on a router with a camera installed by the bit someday.
When I see the signs you free hand , it amazes me that anyone can keep a steady hand as there trying to peak into the base to see where it’s cutting .
One of members has done something simular,but it the camera was connected to a 32” monitor I think (from memory) .
I think it would be easier if an iPad mini was mounted on the router above your hands though

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
Barb, is there any reason you didn’t go with Bosches 1617 evspk instead of the Colt ? Is it to big for sign making?
Just curious

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Wow, Barb, You won't be disappointed, I have a Makita and it has the fxed base and the plunge base. You also got the tilting base and the offset base too. That is a humdinger of a buy. Those are a sweet little router. You also got some edge guages too. I really like mine.

HErb

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barb, is there any reason you didn’t go with Bosches 1617 evspk instead of the Colt ? Is it to big for sign making?
Just curious
No, Rick not too big, truthfully. I started making signs with a Porter Cable P100 replica back in 2011 I think it was. That thing weighed a ton. I switched to a trim router for the weight, and ease of lifting one-handed. I know, bad habit, and I don't do it too much anymore, I just got used to having the smaller router. I've been lookin at the 20v battery powered routers! There's videos all over You Tube testing those bad boys out. Oh BOY!!!! I can see myself getting one of those, too! No cords in the way???

Ken and I talked about it, and I'll probably be getting the full-size Bosch, especially since Ken just got me the guide bushing set Sunday (before I found out the problems with my Colt.) My Full-size routers, while still functional, are getting cumbersome for me. Too heavy and awkward to use at times for me. The newer ones I noticed are lighter.

·
Registered
Paul
1,835 Posts
That's a heckuva kit you got, Barb... loaded. I don't have a Makita router but I have an old drill and a 1/4 sheet sander and I'm very happy with those. Bet you can't wait to make some dust with that! :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I like these small Makita Trimmer Routers so much I have three of them, plus one older one, when I do groove and tenons then I set one up for each task and it makes it all happen very smoothly, this is a great little router. N

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a heckuva kit you got, Barb... loaded. :)
Loaded with everything, but the wrenches to change the bits! :lol: What is it with this situation? Neither router wants me to change the bits, or what? *smh* too funny

Went by there today, and he's ordering them from Mikita. Can't work with it until this weekend, anyway, and I have enough wrenches from other routers, I think I can get by.

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
No, Rick not too big, truthfully. I started making signs with a Porter Cable P100 replica back in 2011 I think it was. That thing weighed a ton. I switched to a trim router for the weight, and ease of lifting one-handed. I know, bad habit, and I don't do it too much anymore, I just got used to having the smaller router. I've been lookin at the 20v battery powered routers! There's videos all over You Tube testing those bad boys out. Oh BOY!!!! I can see myself getting one of those, too! No cords in the way???

Ken and I talked about it, and I'll probably be getting the full-size Bosch, especially since Ken just got me the guide bushing set Sunday (before I found out the problems with my Colt.) My Full-size routers, while still functional, are getting cumbersome for me. Too heavy and awkward to use at times for me. The newer ones I noticed are lighter.
I never considered weight . I wasn’t aware they made a battery powered router? Just can’t see it running that long

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never considered weight . I wasn’t aware they made a battery powered router? Just can’t see it running that long
Check out You Tube, Rick. They're testing them and putting them through their paces.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Loaded with everything, but the wrenches to change the bits! :lol: What is it with this situation? Neither router wants me to change the bits, or what? *smh* too funny

Went by there today, and he's ordering them from Mikita. Can't work with it until this weekend, anyway, and I have enough wrenches from other routers, I think I can get by.
Barb...if you're going to use two wrenches you could have stuck with the Colt...unless you have a particular love for one over the other. Both are fine routers...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barb...if you're going to use two wrenches you could have stuck with the Colt...unless you have a particular love for one over the other. Both are fine routers...
No, I don't want to use multiple wrenches. The reason I got rid of the colt was because to change the bits when it was in the plunge base, I would have to tear it apart. I refuse to have to tear apart the router every 15-20 minutes to change bits. That's asinine. Not even sure why they include two, unless one is a spare, but then again, Ken and I were watching a video on it, and the guy used two wrenches. Ken and I both looked at each other like "wth. Why is he using two wrenches????" Oh well.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
No, I don't want to use multiple wrenches. The reason I got rid of the colt was because to change the bits when it was in the plunge base, I would have to tear it apart. I refuse to have to tear apart the router every 15-20 minutes to change bits. That's asinine. Not even sure why they include two, unless one is a spare, but then again, Ken and I were watching a video on it, and the guy used two wrenches. Ken and I both looked at each other like "wth. Why is he using two wrenches????" Oh well.

I guess I misunderstood your post above (#13)...again, congratulations. I really like that the Makita kit comes with all the extra bases...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I misunderstood your post above (#13)...again, congratulations. I really like that the Makita kit comes with all the extra bases...
No worries, Nick. It's all good! :grin: What I was saying, is that the kit was missing the wrench(es) to loosen/tighten the Collet. Even with the lock, I still need a wrench, right? I just thought it was funny that the first router was hiding the lock to change the bits, and the second one said I can get to the lock, but good luck usin' your fingers to loosen the collet lol

Reactions: TenGees
1 - 19 of 19 Posts