Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Neighbor dropped some wood of in my shop about a week ago... sure surprised me when I opened up the shop and saw 3 sticks of Spalted Birch laying on the shop floor -- thought the WW'ing leprechaun's had left me some goodies. :p Talked to him the next day and found out that he wanted a mantle built for a small 'display wall' in their woodstove/fireplace store.

He had all the info as far as measurements go so it was pretty easy to knock out. Rabbets (top and bottom) on the front and side pieces, mitered corners to keep the grain 'moving' around the corners.

The display wall is supposed to be finished late this week so I'm going to stop by there next week and get a picture or two of it up on the wall.

Wood: Spalted Birch
Finish: Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer and 6 coats of Deft 'Brush On' Lacquer.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glenmore said:
Real nice first time I've seen this type of wood. Love that grain going through it. What do you think you will making out of that.
Uhhh...
It's already made.... :p

That is the mantle sitting on the tailgate ready to be delivered to the store. What I received was 3 boards that were 4/4 x 6" x 8-1/2'.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes,, first class job, Stan... did you find any of the spalting starting to get soft or "punky" or was it all still solid material?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Visteonguy said:
Yes,, first class job, Stan... did you find any of the spalting starting to get soft or "punky" or was it all still solid material?
Terry,
No, nothing that was soft -- just a lot of splintering and breaking apart at the spalting lines. The biggest 'issue' working with this wood was that it kept splintering off at the grain on the edges when sanding. I ended up having to glue a number of pieces down so they wouldn't come completely off and hand-sanding rather than using the ROS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Stan, is that one of your bandsaw boxes on the mantle made of spalted birch? I thought you made boxes too.

Dave
the "Doctor"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.