Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colleagues: picked up a piece of spalted wood and am considering utilizing it for a panel in a box lid and possibly the box bottom.

Question I have is: what finish??

Anyone have any ideas or experience finishing spalted wood? Thanks....

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you stain it dark you'll probably lose some of the look of it. I've always chosen to just go with clear or regular (slightly yellow) to keep the look. You can spalt your own wood if you want. I did some by accident by covering some boards with planer chips which got wet from a roof that I didn't know leaked. After about two months or so the wood was spalted.

·
Registered
513 Posts
spalted maple finish

I use it all the time. I don't stain wood. I finish it the same as I do any wood. Sometimes I put a couple coats of cut 50/50 shellac and denatured alcohol, or polyurethane that is 50/50 mineral spirits that I put on with the blue paper shop towels, or I put an oil / poly finish (1/3 gloss poly, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 mineral spirits). On the last I wait at 24 hours between coats to all it to cure. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Colleagues: picked up a piece of spalted wood and am considering utilizing it for a panel in a box lid and possibly the box bottom.

Question I have is: what finish??

Anyone have any ideas or experience finishing spalted wood? Thanks....
Ray, I just use water based Poly it doesn't seem to change the color. here are some spalted apple pices I made.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's some fine work Herb..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,206 Posts
Totally agree with above.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Welcome back Herb!!!

HJ

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If no one else mentioned it yet, 100% Tung oil. I prefer it over Linseed even though they share a lot of traits. They bring out depth and color, highlight medullary rays like no tomorrow. If the item (whatever it is), is to be/stay outside then Linseed oil.

P.S. your woodworking talent is amazing Mr. Stoops, I envy you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts