Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I made this jewelry/trinket box for my wifes birthday, to go along with the purchased things. Ann Marie turned 65 on Easter Sunday and was so happy with the gift I made her, she wasn't even aware of the other gifts. The box body is made from Birds Eye Maple and the handles and legs are Spanish Cedar. I used a 1/4 inch brass rod between the two handles, and the legs are off set from the box by 5/8 brass dowels. I hope this works. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
:). :)That is a very nice gift and a job well done

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very nice. I can seen why she liked it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is sweet Rick...
I love the design and it character..

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Rick I'm actually having a hard time taking my eyes off it . Did you see this design before or conjure this up yourself ?
If it's your idea you've definitely got a superior vision than most ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Beautiful...no wonder she loves it...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the super compliments, I had never tried to use metal in a woodworking project before this one, and I am very pleased with the results.
Rick...The project is based on a box I saw somewhere(???), but like most things I attempt, I do make changes until I it feels right to me.

Larry...Truthfully, I have never heard of Spanish Cedar before. I was walking out of a local lumber supplier, and there was this piece of wood in a culled pile that caught my eye. I asked the attendant what it was and he came up with the name. It reminded me of Mahogany so I bought it, $10.00 bucks later I had a chuck of wood that I had no idea of what it would be used for. Whatever the wood is, it machined very nicely and I would buy it again if the chance arises. I finished it and the Birdseye Maple with a coat of Watco Danish Oil, let that dry for 24 hours, then I waxed it with Johnson Floor wax.

Thanks for looking, everybody. BE WELL

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Rick, that is really lovely. I especially like the way that you elevated the box with those rounded legs. Very clever! :smile:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Very attractive, Rick. A nice alternative to the usual cube shaped boxes. What are the approximate dimensions? Thanks. Jim

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,329 Posts
WOW that is nice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tell Ann Happy Belated Birthday. Very well done and like others love the unique design of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts