Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago i seen an add for a unit that hooked to the speed control knob to vary the speed of the router. This is not an electric unit. I haven't been able to find it since. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Don and welcome. Can you describe how it worked? The only speed controls I’m familiar with is the ones you plug the router into and ones that use a flex cable.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Neville, 220/240 volt controllers are available all over europe. Theyre all made in china so it shouldnt be difficult for you to order one.
I have fitted one to my makita and we run 240 volts here in Cyprus.
I dont use it much, but if I have to put a 2" or bigger cutter in, its much safer.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Neville, 220/240 volt controllers are available all over europe. Theyre all made in china so it shouldnt be difficult for you to order one.
I have fitted one to my makita and we run 240 volts here in Cyprus.
I dont use it much, but if I have to put a 2" or bigger cutter in, its much safer.
I have an OK speed controller for my tools that done have one, the point I wanted to make is that if hes looking for one then as routers and grinders pull a lot of amps, then any speed controller needs to be able to carry the load. N

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to the Forum this is my first post but, have you seen the variac variable AC Transformer on amazon.com? I like $45 brand new you can use it to control pretty much anything. I use mine for Motors to make tools and also to control the voltage to Lichtenberg besides fractal wood burning device to control the output. I think it's the best thing I've ever bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Y2XHRS/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_YEeZEb4515S92

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
The OP says non-electric. Sounds to me like some type of rod that hooks onto the speed control knob, so you can turn it from a distance. Sounds like an answer to a question that was never asked.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I picked up a tote full of goodies at a garage sale a few years back. In it, along with the 3/4 horse, DC motor and controller I had my eye on was a variac. Before that, I'd heard of them, but never got my hands on one.

It looked like something belonging in my toy collection, so it sat on the shelf with other electric/electronic goodies. I was given a few hundred pounds of acrylic and Plexi, so built the contraption in the photo (had to order the meter, but had the other goodies (switch, LED lights, circuit breaker). Now it's a power source for a Plexi - acrylic bender and offers more versatility than the commercial unit I bought.

Unlike my router control, this is a BIG potentiometer (adjustable resister with three wires, vs a rheostat, with two). Mine is only good for five amps ("about 550 watts). As such, it's not the best way to control speeds on routers and other motors.

I forget where I picked up the controller, but remember it was about $20.00. It's important to note it is an electronic control and, instead of reducing the voltage, it keeps the voltage where the motor likes to be and adjusts the amperage.

Hi I'm new to the Forum this is my first post but, have you seen the variac variable AC Transformer on amazon.com? I like $45 brand new you can use it to control pretty much anything. I use mine for Motors to make tools and also to control the voltage to Lichtenberg besides fractal wood burning device to control the output. I think it's the best thing I've ever bought.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
G'day Don, welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ricky,

Would you like to make you own post and let us know a bit about you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.