Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, because of the current weather, Im at a stand still on my 3-1 High Chair. It's flooding all around us, and just not good weather to take things outside to sand, and then I don't have the stain yet, to begin staining. And we're staying off the roads, for now!

So, I started another little project I promised the wife. We have limited counter space, because our kitchen is so small. So, to get the salt, pepper and other everyday spices, and such, off the counter, I'm building a little spice rack to mount on the wall, under a cabinet.

Got a good bit of it done today, but not finished!

1st pic, is the base. It's 3 1/2" x 16". I've marked the 4 corners (4 columns), and then I routed a 1/4" round over on three sides (minus where the 4 columns will go.
2nd pic, is the four columns, cut and sitting on the base. The columns are 3/4x3/4x4". 1/4"r all four sides of the columns.
3rd pic, is the rails. they are 1/4x3/4 - 2-16" long and 2-3 1/2" long.
4th pic, is a jig I made, to cut a 3/4" groove, in the center of the four columns.
5th pic, shows how nicely the jig worked!! I think I might make some Lincoln Logs down the road!! ;o)
Tomorrow, I hope to finish this!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
so far so good...
build you a down draft sanding table...
save the going out side...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Built small spice racks for a small kitchen several years ago. They were a big help. Really like your columns. Nice work. Please show final pictures.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick, I really really need to do that! Just don't know where I'd store it, when I don't use it!! I'm packed and stacked as is!! ;o)
think of it as nothing more than a hollow table top 3~4'' thick w/o legs and an egg grate top......
hook your DC to it...
shop vac hasn't the ooomph..
make it a drawer when not in use...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finished building it yesterday, except for staining. But then I hit, sought of a dilemma, of sorts.
Trying to figure out how to hang it, with minimal holes in the wall, and a way to take it off the wall, to clean it, now and then.

But, I think I've figured it out. Going to make some sort of handle for it, so that not only that it can hang on the wall, and off the counter, but can be moved to the table, while we eat!! So I'm thinking maybe a piece of 1/4" oak ply, and make a back for it, since moving it without a backing, might be tricky. And cut the back high, and cut out like an oblong hole, to fit a hand, for moving and to hang on the wall.

Maybe, something like this??

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
hang it to the bottom of the cabinet and not the wall....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
plate the top of the rack to make hanging it all that much easier...

·
Registered
130 Posts
How to hang it?

Well I finished building it yesterday, except for staining. But then I hit, sought of a dilemma, of sorts.
Trying to figure out how to hang it, with minimal holes in the wall, and a way to take it off the wall, to clean it, now and then.
What is the wall surface?
If it is tiled, what about using suction pads?
If it is wood, what about a french cleat?

Or, extending Stick's idea, hang a wooden board from the underside of the cupboard, then put the french cleat on that.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Nice job Lee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts