Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain Up / Down Spiral bits? I have several options in Seattle with Rockler, Grizzly and an Amana dealer. I need to make some good mortises. I want to buy 1 by Wednesday. Thanks -Derek

·
Banned
666 Posts
fibertech said:
Can someone explain Up / Down Spiral bits? I have several options in Seattle with Rockler, Grizzly and an Amana dealer. I need to make some good mortises. I want to buy 1 by Wednesday. Thanks -Derek
Derek
There is no doubt the spiral cutter is better than the ordinary straight cutter but I havew been routing Mortices for years with the less expensive straight cutter .
So save yourself some cash
Tom

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
UP spiral bits pull the chips up out of the cut (towards the router) - DOWN spiral bits push the chips into the cut or away from the router. I've never had an application for Down spiral bits although there must be or why make them - I use UP spiral bits a lot - particularly for mortises. I'd recommend UP spiral for what you're doing - get a good one and you'll love it.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Fibertech

Spiral SOLID CARBIDE BITS

Downcut bit is for hand held router applications. Upcut bit is for table mounted router applications.

2 flute flat bottom cutters.
Top quality micrograin solid carbide.
Will cut faster, smoother and stays sharper longer.
Produces a very clean, fast and accurate cut with minimal chatter. Upcut spiral helps remove material.
Ideal for making mortise and tenon joints.
Downcut spirals help hold the material in place while using handheld routers.
Will plunge cut and plane edges.
Eliminates chipping at the top of the cut.
Ideal for soft & hard woods, plywoods & composites,

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
bobj3 said:
Fibertech

Spiral SOLID CARBIDE BITS

Downcut bit is for hand held router applications. Upcut bit is for table mounted router applications.

Downcut spirals help hold the material in place while using handheld routers.
Will plunge cut and plane edges.

Bj :)
I hate to sound argumentative but I respectfully disagree with this. Since the down spiral forces the chips into the cut it is best used for table routing or through routing. Also, for the same reason, they are not best for plunging. And while it is true that they put downward pressure on the workpiece, they can't hold it "in place".

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Charles
I know your the Pro. all I know is what I read.
Can you please post a link to your web page on the same thing I would like to read it also.

Thanks Bj :)

see below ▼

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.