Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big brown truck just dropped off a gift from Router Clause. It is a SpiroCrafter.

Anyone have one and wants to comment I'd like to hear.

My shop is closed for the winter so it will be a while before I can use it but it looks interesting, something like a spirograph that I always wanted as a kid.

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had to open the box to see what I really got. One thing that looks interesting is the sub-base. You get that and two twist and lock template guides. The material of the template guide is a red plastic and in metric 17mm and 24mm. They also give you a holder (17mm and 24mm) that takes a pencil and lets you see what the design will look like by tracing.....

I'll try and not post any more on this unless someone else does.....

Ed

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Ed,

I had to google that one and see just what you had there. A nice looking accessory for sure.

Are you sure they delivered it to the correct address? :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shhhhhhhhhhh If Router Clause hears you he might just skip your house this season.... We all know he doesn't make misteaks.....

Ed

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hey Ed, I got one last year (2003) for Christmas. You're right, it's just like a spirograph for routers. I've used it a few times, but the majority of designs is kinda flowery. A lot of fun though. I've actually routed the designs and filled in the grooves with a homemade filler of glue and sawdust, which turned out to be pretty cool.
Good luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boxer said:
Hey Ed, I got one last year (2003) for Christmas. You're right, it's just like a spirograph for routers. I've used it a few times, but the majority of designs is kinda flowery. A lot of fun though. I've actually routed the designs and filled in the grooves with a homemade filler of glue and sawdust, which turned out to be pretty cool.
Good luck,
Kevin
Kevin,

So they have sold at least 2 of them! You have a interesting idea with the glue and sawdust! That sounds like something I might try, what type of glue did you use and how did you decide when the mix was "right"?

I hate to say this but the twist and turn guides are nice...... in fact I think I will order the whole set from lee valley...... The company that sells these also sells a signcrafter (I have one on order) and an Inlay (2 spirocrafter like guide) and a circle/edge guide that the router sub-base twists into.

I wrote to them and got a prompt answer to about a half dozen guestions. I was hoping they would sell the Inlay guides without yet another sub-base, alignment "bit" and guides but no. Also no on going up to 1 1/2" on the guides.......

Ed

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ed, I used titebond III glue, and I'm not sure if I did get mix right. I just put a dab of glue on some wax paper and mix in some sawdust until its about the consistancy of oatmeal. I try to keep sawdust of every wood I use as filler for those bad miter days. On some sawdust like curly maple which is more shred than dust, I have a coffee grinder I use to break it down. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow of one of the boxes I used this on. As far as the Spirocrafter, Lowe's has picked up some of their stuff as well. I seem to remember seeing some of the template guides there, but don't hold me to it. BTW, mine came with a centering pin for 1/4" & 1/2" collets in one, which I also use on the router I use for inlays. Quite handy.
Good luck, Kevin

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
spirocraft picture

boxer said:
Ed, I used titebond III glue, and I'm not sure if I did get mix right. I just put a dab of glue on some wax paper and mix in some sawdust until its about the consistancy of oatmeal. I try to keep sawdust of every wood I use as filler for those bad miter days. On some sawdust like curly maple which is more shred than dust, I have a coffee grinder I use to break it down. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow of one of the boxes I used this on. As far as the Spirocrafter, Lowe's has picked up some of their stuff as well. I seem to remember seeing some of the template guides there, but don't hold me to it. BTW, mine came with a centering pin for 1/4" & 1/2" collets in one, which I also use on the router I use for inlays. Quite handy.
Good luck, Kevin
Here is the picture I promised.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like how the box turned out, the dark design stands out!

Did you over fill the design and sand flat?

Thanks for the picture and the idea!

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
signcrafter

reible said:
Kevin,

Where did you find the signcrafter? I saw all the stuff at the Woodstock show last year and was going to get it when I was done - but my feet were done first and I didn't want to go back (not sure I remembered where it was!)

I'd really like to get the whole kit - there was the signs, letters/numbers, geometric and flowers - (I think that was it).

Thanks MK

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You can get the Spirocrafter, sign maker, etc. at Lowe's. They also have the guide bushings. Or, you can go to www.milescraft.com, and they will give you a listing of distributers. You might also check out their inlay kit.
Kevin
P.S. The Spirocrafter comes with a 6" sub-base, and the inlay kit comes with a 7" sub-base. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts