Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope some one has an answer for me.

I'm working with white oak rounding over on a router table the wood splits and tears out I have tried going different ways nothing so far helps. I'm using a 5/16 round over bit.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have worked with white oak also. Make sure that the bit is sharp. Check that you are running the bit at the proper R.P.M.. To fast with the feed is not good.
If the problem continues, try more that one cut. Lower the bit for the first pass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mike how much of a bite are you taking try a little at a time and also cut the end grain first then the length. Also look at the grain of the wood and how dry is the wood. And which direction are you going. Oak does have the tendency to split out especially if you go to fast.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
mike54 said:
I hope some one has an answer for me.

I'm working with white oak rounding over on a router table the wood splits and tears out I have tried going different ways nothing so far helps. I'm using a 5/16 round over bit.

Hello Mike54, Welcome to the RouterForums:)

I have a question. Is this the first time for you to use a Router table? If so the piece should feed from Right to left and as the others have mentioned taking light passes with the bit and use a backer board for the end grain. Also do not make the mistake I did the first time I used my router table over 2 years ago and run the wood between the bit and the fence. I chewed up the wood and almost ruined the router bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.