Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this one I can show the beginning on the Spool Cabinet. I picked both of these at a garage sale. The stand I just finished it is solid walnut except the top I did that with red oak vainer, I really wanted to go with white oak with a strip or two of the walnut for accent. Well as we all know money can sometimes put the skids to any plan. The stand I did not take before pics of so shame on me but at least you will see the Spool Cabinet as a before.

The Spool Cabinet has a decal of sorts on the back, it's about 4-5" in diameter. We finally figured out what is said, "J & P Coats" over the top and on the bottom was "Best Six Strand". After some investigation we found one on e-bay selling for over 300.00. It is circa 1890-1910 and would be found in a dry goods store for holding spools of thread.

Now if anyone knows any more or any different let me know cause I would like to get it all strait. When I start the Spool Cabinet I am sure I will be looking for some guidance. Some parts will have to be re fabricated. I plan to finish it and keep it someplace in the house

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Thats a beauty to rebuild. If i remember, they were oak. and had some nice lines. Might see if Coates and Clarke has any in format. By the way, Is the hand giving you any problems? Hears wishing you a great project. Ouch, Thats an old post, and i missed it, sorry. I'll look for a pic

·
Registered
782 Posts
spool cabnet

On this one I can show the beginning on the Spool Cabinet. I picked both of these at a garage sale. The stand I just finished it is solid walnut except the top I did that with red oak vainer, I really wanted to go with white oak with a strip or two of the walnut for accent. Well as we all know money can sometimes put the skids to any plan. The stand I did not take before pics of so shame on me but at least you will see the Spool Cabinet as a before.

The Spool Cabinet has a decal of sorts on the back, it's about 4-5" in diameter. We finally figured out what is said, "J & P Coats" over the top and on the bottom was "Best Six Strand". After some investigation we found one on e-bay selling for over 300.00. It is circa 1890-1910 and would be found in a dry goods store for holding spools of thread.

Now if anyone knows any more or any different let me know cause I would like to get it all strait. When I start the Spool Cabinet I am sure I will be looking for some guidance. Some parts will have to be re fabricated. I plan to finish it and keep it someplace in the house
check these links out about your spool cabnet

J & P Coats spool cabnet - Google Search

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a beauty to rebuild. If i remember, they were oak. and had some nice lines. Might see if Coates and Clarke has any in format. By the way, Is the hand giving you any problems? Hears wishing you a great project. Ouch, Thats an old post, and i missed it, sorry. I'll look for a pic
It still sits waiting for some attention and it will get some one day.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well it will, I think. I have had a lot to do just getting experience under my belt. I have begun to think on the restoration and what it will involve. I will begin posting when it starts and on to completion.

The stand it turned out is walnut and is a real nice piece, I did the top in oak plywood something I would never do today. I would do it in curly or birds eye maple. I would chose a contrasting wood that would add to the beauty of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts