Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an age old question but, I have a few outdoor projects like a birdfeeder, and even a squirrel house I want to make this fall. As you who have squirrels around know they can be a lot of fun but they also don't mind chewing your birdfeeders to gain better access to the seed. I don't mind shairing the food but they wreck the feeders.....

Are there any woods which squirrels find distastefull? Do I have to tin plate everything I build to protect it? How about a bad tasting paint/stain? Mixing hot red peppers in the paint?

Anyone anyone at all?

Ed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ed, after going thru the same problems that you mentioned I went this way.This is the best feeder that I have seen.It really works.Also the spring tension has 3 weight adjustments.I have mine set on the weakest setting that will allow the small birds to feed but not them rotten bluejays.I didn't want to buy something but after building a few I felt I could better use my time doing other things.I don't remember where I bought mine but I don't think I paid that much for mine .You might try a Goggle search for a better price... http://www.johndeeregifts.com/product-product_id/289845

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read that adding ground red pepper to the bird feed works. Supposedly, it doesn't bother the birds, but the squirrels do some cutting up!
ken

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken Massingale said:
I've read that adding ground red pepper to the bird feed works. Supposedly, it doesn't bother the birds, but the squirrels do some cutting up!
ken
I've heard that as well but have never tried it. I was thinking of putting some in the paint??????

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JohnH said:
Ed, after going thru the same problems that you mentioned I went this way.This is the best feeder that I have seen.It really works.Also the spring tension has 3 weight adjustments.I have mine set on the weakest setting that will allow the small birds to feed but not them rotten bluejays.I didn't want to buy something but after building a few I felt I could better use my time doing other things.I don't remember where I bought mine but I don't think I paid that much for mine .You might try a Goggle search for a better price... http://www.johndeeregifts.com/product-product_id/289845
I did manage to find it for about 1/3 the cost but it is still more then I wanted to pay. It sure looks like it would solve the problem.

Ed

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
My parent's use to buy bird feed with the red pepper already mixed in it worked great really messes up the squirels eating habits from the bird feeder.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reible said:
I know this is an age old question but, I have a few outdoor projects like a birdfeeder, and even a squirrel house I want to make this fall. As you who have squirrels around know they can be a lot of fun but they also don't mind chewing your birdfeeders to gain better access to the seed. I don't mind shairing the food but they wreck the feeders.....

Are there any woods which squirrels find distastefull? Do I have to tin plate everything I build to protect it? How about a bad tasting paint/stain? Mixing hot red peppers in the paint?

Anyone anyone at all?

Ed
I decided to let the squirrels make modifications as I never did find any way of stopping them. The squirrels were moving in today so as you can see in the picture they have already started chewing........

I guess it is their house.....

http://www.routerforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=36

Ed

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Ed,

I buy giant bottles of cyanne pepper at Sam's for $3 and mix a heavy dose with my seeds. Now I enjoy watching the squirrels react to the sting more than I enjoy watching the birds eat peacefully. They say the birds do not feel the heat and it is a good vitamin for them.

The ole squirrel will sit there and eat a few minutes and then starts shaking his head and running around in circles in a fit. A few minutes later he runs down and jumps in the bird bath for a drink.... he he.... I peppered it also :~)

I finally bought a have a heart cage trap and simply change their zip code when one comes around.

Bob N

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ed, some of the best solutions can be the most amusing. I built a small feeder for my girlfriend. She loves attracting the little car decorating machines and feeding them. To mount the feeder I fastened a flange to the bottom, then added a 7' piece of 3/4" pipe.(2' into the ground) No unsightly baffles, no pepper added to the feed, no fancy mechanisims, and no chewing on the feeder. I simply "painted" a liberal coat of Vick's VaporRub on the pole. You havent lived until you watch the squirrels try climbing the pole, and then spend 20 minutes trying to get the VaporRub off their paws. Its nontoxic and the little guys learn quick to eat other places! You can help by feeding them sunflower seeds in a can with drainage holes on a stump or rock.

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Squirrel Proof Feeder

reible said:

Anyone anyone at all?

Ed

Ed, I built this one this summer. The plexiglass front and back goes all the way up to the top and all the way down so there is no openings for squirrels to get their grubby little paws on the seeds. I drilled 1/4 and 3/8 inch holes in the plexiglass so the birds can get their beaks in.

g-man

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
g-man said:
Ed, I built this one this summer. The plexiglass front and back goes all the way up to the top and all the way down so there is no openings for squirrels to get their grubby little paws on the seeds. I drilled 1/4 and 3/8 inch holes in the plexiglass so the birds can get their beaks in.

g-man
I like it! I like the rustic look, I might try something like this next year. I've had to shut down my workshop for the winter bah......

Thanks for the idea,

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mothers Day News

We got to see the "baby" squirrel(s) for the first time today. Not sure if there are more then one or not but I guess in the next week or so we will know for sure.

Here are a few facts:
normal litter: 2 or 3
males are excluded from nest
2 seasons (late Dec/early Jan.)(late May thru early July)
Gestation 44 days (40 to 45 normal)
Weaned at about 50 days
First out of nest 6 to 7 weeks old
Weight = two US quarters at birth
They eat 20% of body weight every 24 hours at first
At 6 months old almost adult size..... at 9 months full grown
They normal live 5 to 6 years but sometimes as long as 8 years

Mom is on top of house, "kid" is hanging out but has not gotten out of box yet.....

Picture quality is not that great but that is what you get using a digital camera held up to a binocular.

Ed

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts