Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we had the kitchen remodeled 18 months back or so we got all new stainless steel appliances. Stainless ain't stainless!!!! Shows every little smudge, fingerprint, etc. Question is, the stove has started getting burnt marks by the most used burners. How do you clean that stuff up? We've done the barkeepers friend, baking soda paste, white vinegar, and a few other things off the shelf. Got some of it off, but doesn't look like it used to. Back to enamel or porcelin next time. Any secret way to get more of it off?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
polishing compound and buffing...
buffer???... ROS w/ a wool bonnet...
car wax the other appliances...

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
John , I'm not a fan of those appliances at all . Just look at them in the store and it gives you a clue lol

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Do not how good it works but they make stainless steel cleaner for appliances

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't found any that work worth a darn yet.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polishing compound and buffing...
buffer???... ROS w/ a wool bonnet...
car wax the other appliances...
Gotta try that stick -- thx

·
Registered
544 Posts
For smudges, fingerprints, etc. on the fridge or dishwasher, I get good results with Magic Stainless Steel:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Magic-24-fl-oz-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner/999914813

But I don't know how well it will work on burn marks. I don't use it on my cook top, I usually just use a wet abrasive sponge on it. If it was a massive boil over of oatmeal or soup, I let water and dish soap sit on it a while. Burn marks sounds bad.

You might try putting a vinegar-soaked paper towel on the area for 20 minutes or so. Remove it, then while it's still wet with vinegar, put some baking soda on the area (it will react and bubble with the vinegar, so be careful). Scrub the mixture with a sponge. Rinse and repeat. This is basically how I clean metal pots and pans that have burn marks.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Burn marks - ceramic cooktop cleaner or white toothpaste. Both have a mild abrasive, so you will see some polishing. I think they keep going to lousier grades of stainless steel every year.

Don't use anything with 'real' bleach in it, it can attack the metal

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You should not be getting burn marks. Thats a sign of incomplete combustion.

More info here;
Why is My Gas Water Heater Flame Yellow? | BFP Bay Area

Assuming you are using propane or other LPG mix, the flame should be strong blue with a white tip. if theres any yellow in there then its not adjusted properly.

There are two kinds of stainless steel. 1 is known as "rust free" which means that theres a lot of iron in there. Its a cheaper metal and is often used in budget priced equipment. Check it with a magnet. Rust free stainless will hold the magnet. True stainless will ignore it.

Rust free will mark eventually and needs more maintenance than true stainless.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I hate "Stainless appliances can't keep them clean. I just bought a gas grill with a stainless top only one I could find with the features I wanted. I am having the same problem with it. I did a bunch research on cleaning so called stainless best thing I have found is white vinegar to get rid of the streaks. Maybe a little oven cleaner which is Lye or caustic soda would help on the black spots let it soak over night. That should cut the carbon build up. As someone else said you may want to check the air mixture on your burners sounds like they could be burning too rich causing the carbon build up.
Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The burn marks are from my sloppy cooking habits -- mainly grease spatters. The other thing I hate is when using the broiler the knobs become very hot and I have to use a pot holder to turn them. And that just bakes the grease spatters on more.

·
Registered
944 Posts
All our appliances are stainless and we just love them. As ststed there are different qualities of stainless and some are smudge proof. To brighten up the appearence we use Cerama Bryte S/S cleaner and it works well. Our range has a ceramic surface and we use Cerama Bryte in a kit that includes a srubbing pad and a razor in a handle, these combined with a small amount of elbow grease give fantastic results on tough stains. For every day clean-up after cooking, we wait until the area has cooled down for a few minutes and then use a drop of dishsoap and hot water to remove splatter from frying etc...Cerama Bryte is one of the recomended cleaners from the manufacturers. If you look in your owners manual they usually list a few different suppliers. Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've used easy off oven cleaner on our stainless steel cooktop for about 15 years now. Spray it on & wipe it off in the morning. Made the mistake of using an abrasive one time & it left scratch marks. Don't do that! Use paper towels to wipe off the cleaner (wear gloves) them finish up with a wet sponge, rinse multiple times, works great. The trick is to not let it get bad.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Bon Ami - "hasn't scratched yet!" I have a glass top stove. Ken can't clean it; complains he can't get the burners completely clean. When I priced what they wanted for the special cleaner, I almost fainted. Then I remembered when I was growing up, mom had one of the very first "glass top" stoves. The only cleaner approved was of course the special cleaners, except: Bon Ami. So, (took about 5 stores to find it, for some reason) I went out and purchased three of the little gold cans with the chick on the front... :smile:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Use Sheila Shine on SS metal- get it at Lowe's, HD, or a restaurant supply house. I worked in sales and R&D for restaurant equipment- this was the recommended product. SS will discolor with heat and really you can't do anything about it. It might clean up but you will be back to Square One. Go to a restaurant supply dealer and you will find that the tops of ranges are not SS but enameled or powder coated castings. Personally, I would never have SS in a home kitchen.
You can clean the smudges, etc., but in my experience, you can't eliminate them. I also worked in Lowe's appliance department- the most popular color for home appliances was..............white!

·
Registered
749 Posts
We use stainless steel cleaner you buy at Lowe's for the tough stuff. We use lemon oil for finger prints and light stuff.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
John; you got me into experimenting. We have a heavy SS sauce pan that had heat scorching on the bottom. This morming after reading this thread, I took the pot and scoured the bottom with the ceramic stove top cleaner and one of the little pads you use for doing the ceramic tops.
It took every bit of staining off the bottom of the pot and left it looking like new. I've used the stove top cleaner in the past on our SS kettle and it's never scratched the high gloss surface.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
May be worth a try!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts