Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
It has been a while, life seems so busy sometimes. I replaced the sill on an upper sash a couple years ago and while it turned out OK, I did learn a lot. I'm looking to do some more repairs soon as quite a few other windows have the same issue, the upper sash sill is either extremely warped, rotted or sagging on one side (and also rotted). With the weather getting nice, I'm thinking to pull one sash and replicate it and fix it. That way, I can pull one sash and replace with a repaired one and fix when time allows. My question is. What is the proper size sash router bits for my windows? I see various cutting lengths like 7/8 and 1-5/16. Amazon has this that has good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-Window-...er+bits&qid=1554950804&s=instant-video&sr=8-6 The windows are 1 3/8 I think. Need to check. Is the length mentioned the cutting length along the spin axis from top to bottom? After I finished my work on that first window I realized I had forgotten about the beveled part and had to add this on after the fact! Glue and some screws are hidden under the paint!
Anyhow, as usual, I know you guys will steer me right. I want to get the bits ordered so I can get to work on this soon, thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The MLCS bits are on the low end of the quality scale so you may want to go with a better brand if you have a few windows to do. You may need to size the bit to match what you have. I'm not sure how many options there are. For small bevels I would use a router. There are a lot of different angles available. For large ones, as in the main sill I usually do those on a table saw with the blade beveled. You can do the small ones that way too but there is more sanding involved.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What bit did you use before? I wouldn't be that concerned about trying to match what you have. Since you are building new then they will match each other. I also wouldn't just fix the bottom or top sash I would do both. In the end it will look better and you'll sleep better. As far as MLCS I've never used their sash bits but I have used their rail and stile bits and have absolutely no issues with them, I have three different profiles including a reversible one. I have a set that I bought over 25 years ago and have made raised panels walls as well as cupboard doors and they gave me excellent cuts. I have more than gotten my monies worth. When and if the stop cutting crisp and clean I'll throw them out. There is a reason that they get good reviews from those that own them because they are good. You might want to call them directly to answer your question about the cutting lengths.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used table saw and straight router bits on the sill I did before. I'm really leaning towards just a simple bevel the more I think about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts