Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I have been way for a spell but finally getting back to my rabbit hole. I have a couple of Defiance planes that do not seem to match the description I find else where. I have tried TimeTested Tools and they confuses thing more. I am looking to for parts but I want to make sure I know a little bit of what I have. One I thought was a 1244. It has the frog mounted to the base but none of the measurements fit. The second might be a 1204 but again nothing is correct. Is this standard procedure for the Defiance Planes? If you have a second take a look and see what you think. Oh, has anyone made their own tote shafts? What might you be using for stock. Thank you for the help. Have a great and safe Independence Day weekend. Wayne

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I like using hand planes a lot, but I'm not up on the old Stanley planes at all. You might also check in with Hock tools. Send your pictures an email and ask your question. BTW, what are you looking to do specifically, bring them back into good working order? Replacing or renewing the irons? A lot of that is using some sort of rust removal, using sandpaper on a very flat surface to flatten the bottom, clean out any rust or irregularities in the Frog, replace the iron or cap? I know that Hock Tools makes irons for just about any plane out there, which is why I suggest you contact them. I recall seeing lots of hand plane videos on YouTube as well.

Deep pitting and if the base is NOT 90 to the sides,

I have replaced stock irons with Hock's but I just don't enjoy rescuing old tools, no matter how good they are. Maybe someone who's been at this for a long time can help, meanwhile, I suggest you add exactly what you want to wind up with with your planes.

Here's a diagram naming the parts of a hand plane, so we're all talking the same language.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help. I will look into Hock tools and see if they can help. Take care.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a genuine Defiance plane iron for sale on ebay right now.
Other than this I also recommend Hack for a replacement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts