Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
welcome to the forum, Chuck !!
can you provide some photos of the router that you are working on ?
(also - what kind of patternmaker are you??).

·
Official Greeter
Ross
11,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chuck.

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome to the forum, Chuck !!
can you provide some photos of the router that you are working on ?
(also - what kind of patternmaker are you??).
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Rim

I am a wood patternmaker, though I spend more time fixing equipment than making patterns anymore. Most of the patterns that we use are cut on CNC equipment and shipped to us. We just put the gating and risering on them.

This router has only one good brush, so I am making the other. It isn't very hard. Cut some graphite to the desired shape. Drill a hole in the end for the wire. Coat the end of the wire with silver solder. Heat the brush with a torch, then push the wire and solder into the hole. Once cool, put the spring over the end. Pull the wire up through the cap to the desired tension. Solder the wire to the cap and cut off the excess.

I am especially fond of the older Stanley Routers. I pulled the nuts off the bottom and could partly pull the top up, but the field would not come up with it. I need to be able to get it out in order to solder on new wires. As a temporary fix, I spliced on a new section of wire at the top of the motor, but the insulation on the old cord is quite brittle.

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
wow - wishing you all the luck on that one. I had a similar style a lifetime ago and when I took it apart to put on a new cord, I couldn't get it back together again so I tossed it and bought another one with more HP.
as for patternmaking, that is probably one of my favorite hobbies. When I was in the Navy, I was stationed on 4 ships that had Molding and Patternmaking shops onboard and they saw a lot of my spare time. Hopefully, after you get this project done, you can share some of your "smaller and less extravagant" molding projects with us. I for one, would really be interested in them.
Going from CNC fabrication to sand casting is an art in itself.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Welcome PatternmakerChuck, glad you joined in. Your description of making a brush made me happy for having spare parts available. I haven't fired up my torch since the last time I worked on copper pipe several years ago.

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Boomer.....

My antivirus will not download that file, "considered a security risk"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts