Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Actually I know what this is and part of how to use it. That part is pretty much a no brainer. What I have not figured out is how to use the brass bar to set the correct angle with. It says on it "Correct honing angle 30*" and at the very end of the tang it says 25. Does anyone know how you use this bar to set the angle with? I got a pair of them off ebay and the seller was no help at all.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Just to eliminate one possibility, if you loosen the thumb wheel and slide the device down the slot until the end of the plane blade is flush with that brass bit, then lock down the thumb wheel, can you set it down on a flat surface (normal position to sharpen) and check the angle with a protractor? (Move the brass blade back out of the way before setting it down.)
I think that geometry would work with any plane blade(?)...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth a try. I'll get back to you.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks like you nailed it Dan. When I set the blade even with the end of that bar I was within 1* of 25 and when I set it at the 30* mark it was within a degree of 30. Thanks. That had been bugging me for a while. I never thought about it as one leg of a triangle and the height of the guide as another.

BTW, it actually is a pretty honing guide. Plane blades are wide enough to be stable with only one roller under it and it wants to keep the angle across the end of the blade very well too. From the little bit I've been able to find out about them they may be slightly collectible.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We might have to double your pay rate here. :wink:

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Lee Valley version

You know if it's from L.V. because it has to have all the bells and whistles.

I had the L.V. version of this many years go. The base was a fairly wide roller. It worked well - for awhile - then the bearing seized up solid. Nothing I tried had any effect at all. So it got slung.

When it worked it was good for everything from a narrow chisel to a wide plane blade.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You talking about this one Keith? Veritas® Mk.II Honing Guide System - Lee Valley Tools
If you are it's the first bad thing I've ever heard about it.
I have that one as well Charles, not the same as the older one. This one's a beauty!

The older one just had a wide roller bearing with a clamp setup on top. In theory, it should have worked well, and for a short while it did. But once that bearings seized, that was it. Toast.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You know if it's from L.V. because it has to have all the bells and whistles.

I had the L.V. version of this many years go. The base was a fairly wide roller. It worked well - for awhile - B Nothing I tried had any effect at all. So it got slung.

When it worked it was good for everything from a narrow chisel to a wide plane blade.
so let's see...
water lubricant...
metal dust ...
you didn't keep the bearings lubed...
nor did you call LV for a solution..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
so let's see...
water lubricant...
metal dust ...
you didn't keep the bearings lubed...
nor did you call LV for a solution..
I cannot recall there being any way to lubricate this thing. Seems to me it might have had a sealed bearing of some kind.

Not sure if I still have any of the old LV catalogues to show you what it looked like. The roller wheel part was about an inch or so in diameter.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I cannot recall there being any way to lubricate this thing. Seems to me it might have had a sealed bearing of some kind.

Not sure if I still have any of the old LV catalogues to show you what it looked like. The roller wheel part was about an inch or so in diameter.
which one did it look more like???

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
which one did it look more like???

Somewhat similar to the one on the left, but that one isn't the same.

The bearing part was quite wide IIRC. The wide bearing was what enabled it to be used on narrow chisels. Those are much newer versions.

Trying to remember when I bought it...likely 1990 or earlier. I did have my L.V. catalogues going right back to the very early days, but I think they were casualties of the move away from the island.

I haven't opened the boxes of books and magazines that I did manage to save yet, but if I run across a picture of it, I'll show you.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Somewhat similar to the one on the left, but that one isn't the same.
ahhhh.
I know what you mean....
don't think it had a bearing per-say but was more akin to a roller on a shaft...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.