Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, and my router is new. It was a gift, but I am excited about it. Waht kinds of first project sources are there? I am looking for something to help me figure out what I can do, other than round over my shelves or my sons toy table corners.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I am relatively new as well and am in the process of making a router table and cabinet. This will hopefully give me the necessary experience with techniques that I can take to other cabinet type projects. I have completed the top and so far, it has been a great first project.

I made a toy box for my daughter last year as well.

Good luck and have fun doing whatever project you decide on!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Slojim
You may want to take a look at the web page below,many great books by Oak-Park (RWS) with many,many great ways to use your new router and have some fun also.
see linnk below ▼
http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RW-Book-&ref=usa12.html

I should note***It's hard to make any thing with out a router table, you can make one quick and easy till you get then hang of the router and then make a nice router table.
Take some 3/4" Plywood (16" x 18" )set your router on it ,draw around the base and mark the screw holes that holds the plastic face plate to the router base,(on the out side of the line) then pop in a bit and plunge down a 1/2" deep and remove the stock inside of line (start with the center and move out to the line,leave a small nub in the center this will help hold the router true for the plunge cut) then center the router in the hole and plunge all the way into the plywood so it comes out the other side.( you want to end up with a 1 1/2" hole in the center) a Hole saw will work great for this job.
Now take the plastic face plate off the router and mark and dill the holes into plywood to hold the router to the plywood.(you will need to couter sink the holes on the top of the plywood) but I'm sure you know this.
You can clamp the plywood to the work bench or screw it down or pop it in your WorkMake bench or what every.
Now find a true 2 x 4 stock for a fence,clamp it to the plywood, you just made a quick and easy router table that will work for many projects for 2.oo bucks or less.

Bj :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Welcome to the router forums Slojim.
Usually best to start with something small and simple. Check out oak-park.com and or the Router Workshop home page, you'll find some books from Rick and Bob.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Slojim, I always recomend building a router table as a first project. A router table is designed to be functional and beauty isnt important, this will act as a confidence builder for you. A few minor mistakes will not ruin your project and most people surprize themselves and create really nice tables. Download some of the E-plans from Oak Park and learn new tricks and tips for your router. After that try a project like a simple shaker style table. This will teach you about matching wood grain and glueing up boards for table tops. You will build a jig for tapering the table legs. By following this simple progression you will be ready for building cabinets and even fine furniture in no time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.